Our telematics data has opened the door to new ways of pricing auto insurance: new data everywhere, new analytical approaches, and the massive computational power to finally put the two together. Through this, our actuarial team has shifted away from leaning solely on traditional approaches and instead focusing on leveraging more creative techniques and technologies to develop modern, autonomous solutions.
We're looking for Actuarial Interns who are eager to get their feet wet in the world of insurance. At Root, you won't be standing on the sidelines; you'll be doing real work on the frontlines of modern pricing and reserving techniques. Our interns are hands-on with real world problems, working alongside our actuaries to rapidly experiment with and develop analyses, tooling, and filings. As an Actuarial Intern, you'll also get exposure to non-traditional actuarial roles within the company that are unique to Root.
What you'll be doing:
What we're looking for:
- Interns will have ownership of a specific project which they will present at the end of the summer
- Use statistical and projection models to develop actionable insights
- Evaluate and analyze Root and market data to enhance internal decision making
- Learn the insurance business--product, claims, and finance
- Graduation between December 2022 - May 2023
- Strong, demonstrable knowledge of statistical analysis
- Functional Excel skills (creating formulas, visualizations, sorting & filtering, pivot tables)
- Demonstrable experience with R & SQL a plus