Data Science Intern
We connect customers to the brands they love by way of a thriving marketplace and a members-only service that provides benefits across 140+ of the best online stores. Our members save time and money with benefits including free 2-day shipping, easy 2-click checkout, and free returns all while we help them stay up on the latest trends.
For merchants, we’re driving e-commerce business and producing insights with a growing data analytics practice. With a powerful two-sided network and a robust data platform, we’re creating an e-commerce win-win, helping retailers compete. The landscape of retail is changing and we’re here to empower retailers to take their place in that exciting evolution.
We have people in offices around the world: Headquartered in Chicago, with offices in Conshohocken, PA (Philly area), New York, San Mateo and Krakow, Poland. We hustle to get things done, creating wins for customers, merchants and each other.
ABOUT THE ROLE
You will join a diverse data science team, based out of our Chicago office. We use our extensive store of cross-market e-commerce data to create predictive models that help move our business forward. As an intern on our team, you will be paired with a senior data scientist mentor and you will work on collaborative projects to help us push the limits of what our data can do to serve both our merchants and customers, while learning new predictive modeling and software engineering skills along the way. Some of the projects we’re working on include:
- Analyzing our massive store of data to better understand how our customers interact with ShopRunner and our merchant network. We’re using our findings to identify new segments for ShopRunner to focus on, to build recommendation systems, and to build predictive targeting models.
- Developing computer vision algorithms on top of our collection of roughly 50 million product images.
- Uncovering opportunities for new products and services within our customer and merchant network, often developing prototypes.
- Working with the engineering team to develop new products, assisting with data architecture and model deployment, and ensuring our products will scale with usage across our merchant network.
In addition to your data science work, you’ll get to interact with and learn from other departments at ShopRunner including data engineering, analytics, product, and design.
ABOUT WHAT WE'RE LOOKING FOR
- Undergraduate students (junior level or above), graduate students, bootcamp graduates or recent graduates in a relevant field, including Computer Science, Engineering, Physics, Mathematics, and Statistics.
- Working proficiency in Python.
- Experience working with data.
- Experience with machine learning or applied statistics.
- Interest in software development best practices and working on systems that either are already or will eventually be put into production environments.
- Ability to work full time from Chicago for 10-12 weeks over the summer.
We want you to bring your whole human self to work every single day. We accept you for who you are and consider everyone on an equal opportunity basis without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.