Data Science Intern at SMS Assist
- Research and apply state-of-the-art data science methodologies to support broader product and business strategies.
- Translate advanced business analytics problems into technical approaches in diverse domains such as vendor recommendation, work scheduling and technician dispatch, etc.
- Use machine learning to improve and automate processes in SMS proprietary tools.
- Apply data mining techniques to make recommendations based on data and communicate results through insightful visualizations, reports and presentations.
- Collaborates with other internal teams to develop, refine, and scale procedures and workflows.
- Performs ad-hoc projects and other duties as assigned.
Role Specific Skills
- Strong problem-solving skills with an emphasis on product development
- Experience using scripting languages and tools (Python, R, etc.) to manipulate data and draw insights from large datasets
- Experience using a machine learning framework e.g. scikit-learn, torch, shogun, weka, MOA
- Understanding of ETL tools and database architecture.
- A drive to learn and master new technologies and techniques
- Familiar with the following software/tools/platforms:
- Knowledge and experience in statistical and data mining techniques: GLM/Regression, Random Forest, Boosting, Trees, text mining, social network analysis, etc.
- Experience querying databases and using scripting languages: Python, SQL, etc.
- Experience with cloud computing (ML) platforms (AWS, Azure, etc.)
- Experience creating and using advanced machine learning algorithms and statistics: Regression, simulation, scenario analysis, modeling, clustering, decision trees, neural networks, etc.
- Experience with data visualization tools and presenting data to stakeholders
These are the professional skills we would expect from an individual fully established in this role.
- Customer Service - Proficient
- Verbal Communication - Proficient
- Written Communication - Proficient
- Teamwork - Proficient
- Relationships – Proficient
- Learning Agility - Expert
- Analysis - Expert
- Problem Solving - Expert
- Process Orientation - Proficient
- Prioritization - Proficient
- Bachelor’s degree required. Advanced degree preferred
- Currently enrolled in a full-time data science/analytics program at a top-tier institution
- 2-4 years of pre-program work experience in relevant technical or business field
- Advanced knowledge of Data Warehousing and BI best practices
- Experience with big data tools such as Spark, Hadoop, etc