Patent Legal 2020 Internship at Motorola Solutions
At Motorola Solutions, we create technologies our customers refer to as their lifeline. Our technology platforms in communications, software, video and services help our customers work safely and more efficiently. Whether it’s helping firefighters see through smoke, enabling police officers to see around street corners, or reliably keeping the lights on in homes and businesses around the world, our work supports those who put their lives on the line to keep us safe. Bring your passion, potential and talents to Motorola Solutions, and help us usher in a new era in public safety and security.
Department OverviewPatent Operations team of Motorola Solutions' Chief Administrative Office (CAO)
The Patent Legal Intern will work in an innovative and collaborative Motorola Solutions Patent Operations Center focused on a broad range of technologies, including, for example, broadband wireless technologies, device and network security, and software innovations including artificial intelligence, big data, and video and data analytics. The Patent Legal Intern will work on various projects for the Patent Operations Department, and which will require regular interaction with MSI Patent Attorneys, Agents, Engineers, Inventors and Administrative Professionals, both inside and outside of the Chicago Patent Operations Center. Many inventor groups are located in the United States, however, others are located internationally, including but not limited to, Poland, Malaysia, and Israel, so some flexibility in scheduling will be required.
Projects may include but is not limited to:
- Source copyright registration handling
- IDS review, cross-check, preparation, and auditing
- Draft office action response drafting, inventor counseling, patent committee attendance and invention disclosure review
- Outside counsel documentation support and process review, among others
The Patent Legal Intern may periodically participate in invention mining/harvesting sessions, and/or may take on follow-up responsibilities after such sessions complete.
- Candidates should have strong organization, leadership, and communication skills and an ability to create written documents with high quality and efficiency, as well as teach, advise, and inform internal department employees and supported business and engineering groups regarding completed and in-process projects.
- Candidates should also be timely, autonomous, dependable, and personally accountable.
- Willingness to work 40 hrs. per week
- Good interpersonal and team-work skills
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills
Agent registration with the United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) a plus
- Prior experience in a law firm or in-house law dept. a plus.
- Bachelors degree in Electrical, Systems or Computer Engineering, or Computer Science
- Currently enrolled in an accredited full or part-time law school with an expected graduation date on or after Dec 2020
Referral Payment PlanYes
Motorola Solutions is an Equal Opportunity Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran's status, or, any other protected characteristic.
If you are a current Motorola Solutions employee, please click this link to apply through your Workday account.