Software Engineer in Test Internship at Narrative Science
Software Engineering in Test Internship
We are seeking an undergrad or graduate intern to join our Software Test Engineering Team during Spring 2021 to work in a part-time capacity. As an intern, you will have the opportunity to contribute to the success of the company in significant ways. In this role, you will improve our ability to quickly and safely deploy Lexio, Narrative Science’s platform for auto-generating narratives from data. You will help us maintain a great customer experience by tracking features across our web app and backend services. You will be involved in all parts of the project lifecycle, from requirements gathering through to deployment. All interns embed with one of our multi-functional teams where they work side-by-side with our engineers on production-level code. Additionally, all interns are paired with a mentor.
You’ll be expected to have a deep understanding of CS fundamentals, and gain a much deeper understanding of the best engineering practices for a host of applications. You’ll also have a chance to:
- Create, manage, and improve test plans
- Identify, design and develop automation solutions to improve team efficiency and test coverage
- Collaborate with Product Team to break requirements into test plans
- Work with developers to participate in solution design to ensure testability of functions and applications during implementation planning
- Work in an agile team, including sprint planning, daily standups and user story estimation
- Experience solving problems with code
- Currently pursuing a degree in computer science or a related field with a graduation date of Spring 2021, Fall 2021 or Spring 2022
- Experience with one or more Object Oriented or scripting languages
- Experience working in a Linux environment
- Knowledge of container technologies
- Experience with tools like Git
- Knowledge of databases and other data stores
- Capability for critical thinking, problem solving and the patience to see hard problems through to the end
- Strong motivation and the ability to collaborate with others
About the Software Test Engineering Team @ Narrative Science
The Software Test Engineering team at Narrative Science is a bleeding-edge test organization that leverages the best practices throughout the industry. Our mission is to provide quick, trustworthy test coverage with clear documentation. More specifically, this means we support development teams with testing of features, maintain ownership of our BDD-driven test framework, and are responsible for the maintenance and creation of a vast library of automated tests. In short, the Software Test Engineering team owns the overall quality of Narrative Science products. If you are passionate about quality, geek out about finding bugs, love to see test results flip from red to green, and are generally interested in language, data, and web development then we are the team for you!
Culture @ Narrative Science
Narrative Science believes that data storytelling can empower everyone to understand and take action from their data. Our mission is to build software that leverages artificial intelligence to automatically turn data into easy-to-understand reports, transforms statistics into stories, and converts numbers into knowledge.
Our core virtues (mission driven, impactful, team first, innovative) are ingrained in everything we do, from how we develop our technology to how we interact with customers to how we hire people. Since 2020, we have embraced a remote approach and are on a journey to ingrain that in our culture. All while being immersed in our culture of learning, collaboration, innovation, and customer impact.
At Narrative Science, we embrace the diverse backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives of our future employees, colleagues, customers, partners, and other stakeholders. We provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, marital status, citizenship, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.