Associate Counsel at Clearcover
Clearcover is the smarter car insurance company. We use powerful technology to offer everyday drivers better coverage for less money. We’re proud to be one of the fastest-growing startups in the insurtech space, and we’re currently looking to add more extraordinary people to our team.
What is an Associate Counsel at Clearcover?
Clearcover is seeking a lawyer to join our in-house legal team to assist with a broad range of responsibilities. Our Associate Counsel will be part of our growing Legal Department, which supports various internal business units within our holding and insurance companies.
What will you do?
- Drafting, reviewing & negotiating all types of agreements, including service contracts, vendor contracts, non-disclosure agreements, independent producer agreements, rights releases, statements of work, master services agreements, terms and conditions, force majeure clauses, licensing agreements, termination provisions. Contracts negotiated would service several internal business units: Tech, Insurance Product, Marketing & Growth/Sales;
- Maintaining a contract management system;
- Drafting and maintaining all regulatory paperwork and overseeing filings for NAIC and state launches, and keep a yearly schedule of annual re-filings for our insurance company in each state we write business and in states we launch as a new carrier;
- Overseeing annual statutory filings for both holding company and insurance company;
- General corporate legal work for our holding and insurance companies, including Corporate Governance work;
- Assisting the HR department with any in house legal matters, including revision and review of the employee handbook and company policies, as well as separation and employment agreements;
- Handling legal work related to capital (debt & equity) money raise and/or acquisitions
- Managing the employee stock option program
- Reviewing customer facing communications and marketing materials for content and providing legal guidance to the Marketing Team.
What do you have?
- Bachelor's Degree and Juris Doctor (J.D.) from an accredited institution
- Minimum of 3+ years of experience working in mid to large-sized law firm or an in-house corporate legal department.
- Extensive experience with reviewing, negotiating terms, and drafting, of various types of Agreements for a corporate client or corporate employer
- Outstanding communication skills required in order to work effectively with leadership and peers, and the ability to articulate compliance-related concepts to both, technical and non-technical staff
- Law firm or corporate experience legal work related to debt and/or capital money raise for corporations
- Microsoft Office Products (Word, Outlook, Excel, Access), Google office products, iOS
- Excellent organization and multi-tasking skills are required
Nice to haves:
- Experience with legal work with a holding company and subsidiary structure
- Experience with legal work for a company that has done an IPO or acquisition
- Experience with internal regulatory and compliance audits
What's in it for you?
- Unlimited vacation, we hire adults
- Equity for all employees, so you own a piece of the pie too
- Dental and Vision, we've got you covered 100%
- Medical, we cover the vast majority of your premiums to make the cost of you and your family's coverage affordable. Plus, we contribute to your HSA and HRA (cha-ching)
- Flexibility to work remotely
- We invest in your future by contributing 3% of your salary to a 401(K), even if you don't
- Come to work pre-taxed through our FSA commuter benefits
- and yes, we have unlimited LaCroix, beer, snacks and the occasional ice cream social
Clearcover is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE) that welcomes and encourages all applicants to apply regardless of age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identify and/or expression, national origin, disability, veteran status, marital or parental status, ancestry, citizenship status, pregnancy or other reasons prohibited by law.