Associate General Counsel
Sprout Social is looking for a dynamic attorney to join our small, but mighty Legal team. As Associate General Counsel, you will be responsible for managing many of the day-to-day legal issues facing a high growth stage company. In this role you will be presented every day with new challenges and opportunities.
Our ideal candidate is a highly motivated problem solver with good business judgment and strong written and verbal communication skills. You have the ability to issue spot, think critically and learn on the fly. You are committed to providing excellent client service. You also hunt for efficiencies so that your life and the lives of others are constantly made easier. This person will work closely with and report to Sprout Social’s General Counsel.
Sprout Social works with over 25,000 brands worldwide including Evernote, adidas, West Elm and Edelman. These businesses rely on Sprout to create stronger relationships with their customers through social media.
- Juris Doctorate degree
- Member of the Illinois State Bar Association Bar and in good standing
- 6-10 years of experience, with at least 4 years of law firm experience from a reputable firm strongly preferred
- In-house experience at a technology company preferred, particularly SaaS
- Extensive experience drafting and negotiating a variety of contracts with minimal supervision
- Familiarity with SaaS subscription agreements, non-disclosure agreements, reseller and referral partner agreements and various types of vendor agreements (i.e. SaaS, services, consulting)
- Strong business and legal judgment and risk-based assessment skills
- Ability to work through ambiguity and autonomously in an environment where priorities change constantly based on the needs of the business
- Experience supporting Enterprise Sales and/or Channel Sales teams preferred
Within 1 month, you will…
- Complete Sprout Social’s new hire training & onboarding program alongside other new Sprout team members. You’ll gain a broader understanding of our products and how your role fits into the organization.
- Partner with our General Counsel to define priorities and key success metrics for your role and how you will be measured against them.
- Connect and engage with business leaders across the organization to discuss and learn about their needs.
- Dive into the Legal team processes to identify areas for streamlining and improvement.
- Begin to review existing form documents and gain familiarity with the ecosystem of our contracts.
- Develop an understanding of the risks facing our business.
Within 3 months, you will...
- Develop an action plan for policy implementation to mitigate risks facing our business.
- Further develop and operate the vendor contract review process.
- Begin to support our Partnership and Channels Leaders with their strategy, as well as drafting and negotiating supporting agreements.
- Assist Corporate Counsel on the development of sales contracts and a sales contract playbook when necessary.
- Begin to take ownership of certain outside counsel relationships.
Within 6 months, you will…
- Take full ownership of internal clients and the subject matter assigned to them.
- Guide company to compliance with domestic and international laws and regulations.
- Balance objectives of a high growth business with effective risk mitigation
- Work with internal clients and outside counsel to develop an effective intellectual property strategy.
- Work closely with General Counsel to effectively scale the Legal team.
Within 12 months, you will...
- Be seen as an effective resource and strategy consultant to leadership throughout the company for issue spotting and contract drafting and negotiation.
Of course what is outlined above is the ideal timeline, but things may shift based on business needs and other projects and tasks could be added at the discretion of your manager.
About Sprout Social
Sprout Social powers open communication between individuals, brands and communities through elegant, sophisticated software. We are relentless about solving hard problems for our customers and committed to both customer and team success.
Team Sprout is a group of very talented, smart and passionate people with broad interests and backgrounds. We believe that true employee engagement cannot happen if you can’t bring your whole self to work, so we’re committed to building a diverse team, embracing an inclusive culture and investing in equity across our organization. That dedication is core to Sprout. We want all candidates, particularly those coming from traditionally underrepresented groups in the technology industry, to know they are welcome at Sprout.
We’re proud to regularly be recognized for software, product and company culture achievements. Our team’s shared belief in Sprout’s mission promotes a culture of openness, empowerment and fun. We have built a benefits program to match the strength of our team. This program includes:
- Insurance and benefit options that are built for both individuals and families, including generous company contributions
- Progressive benefit programs, like our parental leave program and free Divvy bike memberships
- High-quality and well-maintained equipment - your computer will never prevent you from doing your best
- Beautiful, convenient and state-of-the-art offices in Chicago’s Loop
- Solid programs in some of the staples: transportation, disability and life insurance
- Wellness initiatives to ensure both health and financial well-being of our team
- Breakfast and lunch options onsite, and more healthy snack options and beverages than you can imagine
- Growing corporate social responsibility program that is driven by the involvement and passion of our team members
Sprout Social is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and an Affirmative Action Employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, genetic information, marital status, order of protection status, citizenship status, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please contact us by email at [email protected] and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. Requests for accommodation will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Please note that only inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this email address.
For more information about our commitment to equal employment opportunity, please click here (1) Equal Opportunity Employment Poster (2) Sprout Social's Affirmative Action Statement (3) Pay Transparency Statement.
Additionally, Sprout Social participates in the E-Verify program in certain locations, as required by law. We value the things that make us different and want to see how you can make our team better!