Upwork ($UPWK) is the world’s work marketplace. We help connect companies large and small with top independent talent from around the world. Simply put, our mission is to create economic opportunities so people have better lives.
Every year, more than $2 billion of work is done through Upwork by skilled independent professionals who want the freedom of working anytime, anywhere.
Upwork’s Legal & Policy Team is comprised of a special group of professionals. Our team’s Mission Statement is to enable, accelerate and protect Upwork’s business in a collaborative and innovative manner. Our team’s Core Values are Clarity, Communication, Collaboration, Compassion, Courage and Continuous Improvement. We also believe that exhibiting Trust, Feedback, Accountability, Inclusion and Self-Awareness are foundational behaviors that enable us to live up to our team’s Mission Statement and Core Values.
Our award-winning team loves to work on cutting-edge legal issues, generate creative business solutions to enable the company’s continued growth in a compliant manner, and enable the new world of remote work for millions of independent professionals and clients globally in over 180 countries. We also possess a passion for what we do. The Upwork legal team has been the recipient of The Recorder’s prestigious 2016 Legal Department of the Year (Emerging Companies) award. The team has also been recognized by The Financial Times as One of the Top 25 Most Innovative In-House Legal Teams in North America.Your Responsibilities:
- Review, draft and manage enterprise-sales-focused and vendor agreements.
- Help the commercial team scale by preparing, implementing, and refining forms, playbooks, systems, processes, and procedures.
- Influence and build relationships with executives, product teams, and peers across Upwork.
- Collaborate with subject matter experts at Upwork to analyze and effectively communicate legal risks.
- Demonstrated experience with technology transactions relating to the Internet, SaaS and enterprise software.
- Experience in drafting, negotiating, and managing sales contracts, licenses, alliance and partnership agreements and intellectual property agreements.
- Prior in-house experience, especially at a top Internet / SaaS company
- Prior AmLaw 100 law firm experience.
At Upwork, you’ll shape talent solutions for how the world works today. We are a remote-first organization working together to create exciting remote work opportunities for a global community of professionals. While we have physical offices in San Francisco and Chicago, currently we also support hiring of corporate full-time employees in 15 states in the United States. Please speak with a member of our recruitment team to determine whether you are located in a state in which we are hiring corporate full-time employees.
Our vibrant culture is built on shared values and our mission to create economic opportunities so that people have better lives. We foster amazing teams, put our community first, and have a bias toward action. We encourage everyone to bring their whole selves to work and grow together through development opportunities, mentorship, and employee resource groups. Oh yeah, we’ve also got amazing benefits.
Check out our Life at Upwork page to learn more about the employee experience.
Upwork is proudly committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we never discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical condition), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.