Root is looking for an entrepreneurial, quick-thinking, pragmatic attorney to provide business-oriented advice and to properly balance risks and business rewards with a dedication to superior customer service. As Commercial Counsel, you will review and negotiate contracts with moderate to high risk to the company; vital to our emerging technology and service businesses as well as support matters across the Company regarding technology, privacy, data management, and others. Contract activity may be non-routine and will require your independent judgment and analysis of significant issue identification and resolution to develop specialized contract vehicles and techniques to accomplish business goals and objectives. Our perfect candidate is interested in working at the nexus of law, business, technology, data, and consumers in a fast-paced and growing organization.
We have a team-driven culture where each of us knows the goals and objectives that need to be achieved. Our team knows our business strategy inside and out and is always finding new ways to drive success by continuously improving our product through relentless curiosity and innovation. We look to our team for their energy, unique talents, and commitment to give their very best.
Reporting to: Deputy General Counsel
What you’ll be doing.
- Draft, review, negotiate and manage a wide range of transactional documents and commercial contracts, including sales, licensing, marketing, professional services, and NDAs.
- Provide internal clients with real-time and critical business-focused commercial legal advice for a broad range of businesses and issues, including contract interpretation and negotiation.
- Anticipate legal concerns and provide creative problem-solving in a dynamic business environment.
- Seek to understand the context of the positions of Root’s customers and the requests from Root’s internal clients and strive to solve problems and address issues from their perspectives.
- Constantly evaluate which matters and issues are most worthy or in need of your attention at any given time, setting appropriate priorities with clients, and delivering results efficiently.
- Outstanding communication skills, both written and verbal, and ability to advocate for a position while maintaining a collaborative and open-minded approach.
- Assist with the development of policies and procedures, and standard template language to be used in contracts. Create processes and procedures to help support a rapidly growing business.
- Champion Root’s mission, ethics, and integrity by ensuring that Root’s compliance policies are in practice and protect the company from risk, comply with all applicable local laws and regulations, and are in line with Root’s values.
What we’re looking for.
- 3-5 years of corporate transaction experience with significant experience with commercial contracts.
- Undergraduate and law degrees; active membership in at least one U.S. state bar
- Experience working in a corporate legal or contracts department and comfortable in a fast-paced environment supporting internal business clients, as well as working directly with vendors and customers.
- Financially savvy, articulates all facets of an issue with clarity, digests complex information quickly and accurately.
- Experience with data privacy, data partnerships, distribution agreements, joint ventures, contractual affiliations, and SaaS agreements.
- Prefer experience in the following areas: Privacy, technology, data, intellectual property, and/or highly regulated sectors.
- Good sense of humor, disdain for drama, interest for learning new things, and a desire to get things done.
Who we are.
Root Insurance is the nation’s first licensed insurance carrier powered entirely by mobile. We were founded on the belief that the services you need for everyday life should serve you better. That’s why we base insurance coverages on you, not your demographic. It’s the way insurance should be. And it’s all conveniently in an app.
What draws people to Root.
We’re a venture-backed technology company. Our early success is in large part due to our unwavering standards in hiring. We recognize that our product is only as good as the people building and promoting it. We look for individuals who find solutions by going through the cycle of ideation to implementation with curiosity, rigor, and a highly analytical lens. Ask anyone who works here and you’ll hear similar reasons for why they joined:
Autonomy. For assertive self-starters, the opportunities to contribute are limitless.
Impact. By challenging the way it’s always been done, we solve problems that have a big impact on our business.
Collaboration. We encourage rich discussion and civil debate at every turn.
People. We are inspired by the collection of crazy-smart people around us.