Commercial Counsel at cleverbridge
cleverbridge is seeking a self-driven, collaborative, and business-minded attorney to join our growing Legal team as Commercial Counsel. Client relationships are at the heart of our business at cleverbridge. This position is new to cleverbridge, reports to our General Counsel, and is located in our Chicago offices.
The Commercial Counsel will lead negotiations on some of our most important and complex agreements, especially our agreements with new clients. We aim to create lasting partnerships with our clients. We need an attorney who can realistically assess the legal and compliance risks in a new agreement while also understanding how to think long-term and strategically. You will also be part of the Legal team’s ongoing work advising on product development, business strategy, and US operations.
The ideal candidate is someone who has strong ethical and business judgment and a background in negotiating technology transactions. cleverbridge also has a fun and social environment, as well, so we are looking for a relationship-oriented person that will thrive in our casual culture. Prior experience in-house at a tech company is preferred.
- Lead or co-lead the drafting and negotiation of a wide range of complex commercial agreements, including direct negotiations with clients
- Respond promptly to contracting requests from internal clients
- Constantly explore opportunities to create efficiencies in our sales and contracting processes and to improve the experience of prospective clients
- Research issues on consumer protection, ecommerce, and tech law and apply that to our commercial contracts and product development
- Draft internal legal guidance to senior business leaders on complex legal matters related to our contracts
- Assist in developing and refining policies, templates, and other materials that will serve as a foundation for a growing legal department
Your Qualifications and Skills
- J.D. from ABA-accredited law school and member in good standing of at least one state bar; Illinois strongly preferred
- 4-7 years of substantive contract drafting and negotiating experience; international experience preferred
- Sound understanding of the US and international e-commerce legal landscape
- Positive, collaborative attitude and a willingness to do the big stuff along with the little stuff
- Sharp business judgment and instincts, with an ability to advise quickly on business terms
- Exceptional writing, communication, and analytical skills with attention to detail
- Proven ability to multitask and juggle many high-priority tasks under deadline pressure
Note to external recruiters:
cleverbridge is not accepting accept resumes for this position from external recruiters. Please do not forward resumes to any recruiting alias or employee. cleverbridge is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.
What we offer
We are offering a challenging and interesting opportunity with extensive responsibilities in a dynamic and fast growing company. Benefits include a generous 401(k) plan, flexible hours, health care, tax-free transit and more!