Corporate Counsel, Commercial & Real Estate at Green Thumb
Sorry, this job was removed at 5:43 p.m. (CST) on Tuesday, November 19, 2019
About Green Thumb Industries:
Green Thumb Industries (GTI), a national cannabis consumer packaged goods company and retailer, is dedicated to providing dignified access to cannabis while giving back to the communities in which they serve. GTI manufactures and distributes a portfolio of branded cannabis products including Rythm, Dogwalkers, The Feel Collection, incredibles and Beboe, among others. The company also owns and operates rapidly growing national retail cannabis stores called Rise™ and Essence. Headquartered in Chicago, Illinois, GTI has 13 manufacturing facilities, licenses for 95 retail locations and operations across 12 U.S. markets. Established in 2014, GTI employs approximately 1,200 people and serves thousands of patients and customers each year. GTI was named a Best Workplace 2018 by Crain’s Chicago Business. More information is available at GTIgrows.com.
GTI is excited to announce an opportunity for a well-qualified Corporate Counsel position to be focused on Commercial and Real Estate. The position requires an accomplished commercial contracts attorney with a distinguished professional record and a strong business orientation. This role will provide legal support for general commercial transactions and real estate contracts of the Company. The successful candidate will identify, evaluate, manage and mitigate the company’s risk through contractual agreements and will be responsible for supporting and/or managing outside counsel for all real estate matters relating to the acquisition, disposition, financing, leasing, construction and development of properties located throughout the United States.
- Ensure the business teams have support on commercial contracts, advising and protecting the company of risks, and executing on the business plans – providing training as needed.
- Support the retail and wholesale divisions in securing real estate and through all phases of the build-out, while managing outside counsel during the construction phase.
- Assist in preparation for board materials for approval of significant contracts.
- Draft and negotiate transactional documents such as: vendor agreements, supply agreements, technology agreements, marketing agreements, NDAs, LOIs, and licensing agreements.
- Draft and negotiate real estate transactions, including lease transactions, purchase/divestiture transactions, development deals and all other aspects of GTI’s real estate needs.
- Support packaging and marketing labeling clearance to ensure compliance and review of claim substantiation for GTI’s marketing department.
- Develop form documents and processes to increase in-house efficiencies.
- Manage and oversee compliance with all dates and deadlines in our commercial documents.
- Ensure that commercial documents are consistent and protective of GTI.
- Work with other members as of the legal department as needed.
- Maintain GTI’s website and mobile Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policies so that they maintain consistency and compliance with laws.
- Manage outside counsel to ensure high-quality legal services in a fair economic value for GTI.
- Exceptional academic record and Juris Doctorate degree from a major national law school with experience working at a nationally-recognized law firm.
- Licensed to practice law in IL or eligible for admission pursuant to Illinois Supreme Court Rule 716.
- 3-5 years of general corporate legal experience with an emphasis on commercial contracts and real estate transactions.
- Strong negotiation and drafting skills.
- Team player who is proactive, a self-starter, and ready to roll up their sleeves and dig into the work.
- Strategic, detail oriented and self-motivated to provide high quality and timely work product in a fast- paced, complex, and highly regulated environment.
- Strong ability to grasp legal issues quickly, exhibit strong analytical problem solving and decision-making skills, exercise sound judgment and provide practical and constructive legal advice.
- Ability to manage multiple projects and meet deadlines.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills, and ability to interact with all levels of the organization.
- Strong analytical skills; prone to setting high expectations for self and for others who deliver legal services to the company.
- Commitment to the highest ethical and professional standards; personal and professional integrity beyond reproach; unquestioned discretion in maintaining confidentiality.
- Strong project manager, able to prioritize and manage a large volume of concurrent projects at the same time.
- Technologically savvy and want to know more about technology and the law and are willing to identify and adopt new technologies that will help the legal department increase efficiency and accountability.
- Stay current on trends in the law so that you can provide the company with timely and cutting-edge legal advice, and so you can identify issues GTI should address in its commercial arrangements to minimize future risks.
- Must pass any and all required background checks.
- Must be and remain compliant with all legal or company regulations for working in the industry.
As a legal team we empower the right to wellness by ensuring compliance in all that way do; protecting our brands, our people and our reputation; and building a world-class legal team to support and de-risk the business at scale and at speed.
At GTI we believe that our corporate community should be a reflection of the communities we serve. We are dedicated to fostering an inclusive culture that celebrates diversity across race, sex, age, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, nationality, religion, experience, and thought—not only because it is right, but because it makes us better. Our mission—the right to wellness—informs our commitment to champion economic opportunities in communities disproportionately affected by the war on drugs through employment and community involvement. GTI is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace.
We can't wait to meet you.
Read Full Job Description