Corporate Counsel at Tempus
This position can be remote.
Passionate about making a difference and helping to make personalized medicine a reality through the use of data, AI, machine learning and laboratory testing? Want to advise a cutting-edge business on novel legal issues at the intersection of healthcare and technology? Looking to transition to an in-house role at one of the most innovative companies in the world? Love counseling a business but want to know your work has meaning?
Genomic sequencing permits us to decode and process our genetic makeup. We now have more data than ever, but health care providers don't have the infrastructure or expertise to make sense of this data. At Tempus, we are on a mission to build and connect systems to redefine how genomic data is used in clinical settings. We're looking to build a legal team that can support our ambitious business goals.
What Your Day to Day Will Look Like
- Your primary focus will be assisting with transactional work across our various business lines. Drafting. Turning redlines. Negotiating. Explaining. Advising. Collaborating. The Legal Team handles complex commercial agreements of all types, all in service of Tempus’ broader mission to help people live longer, healthier lives.
- The agreements you will work on will be interesting - you will quickly be drafting and negotiating everything from clinical and research related projects with health care providers, non-disclosure agreements, data licenses, collaboration agreements, agreements with payers, pharmaceutical companies, government entities and anyone else involved in healthcare, biotech, and life sciences. You will have to work through new legal issues involving artificial intelligence, intellectual property ownership, privacy, and cutting edge healthcare technology.
- In addition to this transactional focus, you will get a chance to grow and expand your skill set by assisting with other types of general legal work in a rapidly growing healthcare technology company, including intellectual property, employment and human resources, corporate governance, fundraising, mergers and acquisitions, regulatory, and international issues.
- To do this job well, you will work with Tempus’ various internal business units, including data science, medical affairs, product & engineering, finance, communications, and sales. You will assist in evaluating legal risk and opportunities with the projects our businesses are engaged in. Tempus moves fast, and we take pride that the Legal Department sets the pace.
- JD Degree from a top-tier law school
- At least 4 years of relevant healthcare legal experience at an established law firm or an in-house role - relevant healthcare experience is a strong plus for this role
- Current bar membership in at least one state; eligible for admission to Illinois bar
- Ability to work at in a fast paced environment
- Impeccable judgment, including understanding how to properly evaluate and communicate legal risks in transactions
- Excellent communication and organizational skills
- A great teammate who is willing to join supportive and collaborative colleagues
- Working knowledge of the healthcare regulatory environment, HIPAA, Medicare and Medicaid payment issues, Stark regulation, fraud and abuse issues, and privacy regulations
- Energized by working in a high throughput, open work environment where you are continually multi-tasking and re-prioritizing your work to respond quickly and meet deadlines