JELLYVISION NEEDS A CORPORATE COUNSEL
We here at Jellyvision are the proud parents of ALEX®, an interactive employee communications platform that happens to share some DNA (and a sense of humor) with the smash-hit trivia video game YOU DON’T KNOW JACK®, created by Jellyvision's founder. ALEX makes navigating tricky decisions—like choosing and using employee benefits or improving your financial wellness—easier, faster, and more helpful, not to mention entertaining. The success of the ALEX platform has exceeded our wildest dreams, (except for the part right before we woke up where our mom was riding a giraffe), which is why we need talented folks like you to help us help ALEX take over the world…er…continue to grow and succeed.
THAT’S LOVELY, BUT WHAT’S THE JOB?
You will be the third member of our in-house legal team. The bread and butter of your role will be focused on deals. As a high growth tech company, we are buying services, software, and support galore -- and, happily, we are selling even more, mostly to the Fortune 1000 companies that we’re proud to call our customers. At Jellyvision, we read our contracts carefully, draft our contracts clearly, and agree only to terms that are mutually fair and that we know we can satisfy. That requires careful review, creative drafting, respectful negotiation, and internal vetting with collaboration across the organization. You should have good business judgment and the confidence to suggest creative solutions to identified risks.
Beyond that, Jellyvision faces every type of legal issue you would expect from a high growth SaaS company. From regulatory compliance to human resources to content review to privacy to intellectual property to data security, among many other areas -- legal is a critical partner in running and managing our business, so a passion for any of these is a plus.
WHAT KIND OF SKILLS & EXPERIENCE SHOULD YOU HAVE?
- Approximately three-to-five years of experience as a licensed attorney, preferably handling transactional work. Your admission to the State Bar of Illinois is preferred, or you are eligible for admission as In-House Counsel based on your licensure in another state.
- Significant experience negotiating contract terms to close deals.
- Experience interacting with customers/clients (and a plus if it is in a business development capacity).
- Experience working with tech companies and dealing with licensing intellectual property preferred, but not required.
- Ability to stay cool under pressure and manage a high-volume workload without sacrificing quality.
- You will only be happy in this job if you are a careful, detail-oriented person. Jellyvision is a casual, fun place to work, but we’ve got exacting standards for performance, and that goes double for roles where your work is legally binding the company to contractual duties.
- You must be able to effectively and efficiently communicate with both our customers and your coworkers in a way that is clear, concise, and engaging. Your coworkers should see you as an asset to the team, not a roadblock.
- Being able to listen and understand the objectives of everyone involved in the negotiation is the key to accurately and efficiently reducing contract negotiations to mutually acceptable contract terms.
- An abundance of charm. We’re tough, but fair, negotiators, and we consider our role in business development and procurement as important to our brand and customer experience as the development of our software itself. People do business with people they like, and we need to be genuinely likeable. Even when debating limitation of liability or choice of forum.
- Finally, a sense of humor is a must. Yes, even for our lawyers. Interesting or unusual hobbies are also a plus.
ANYTHING ELSE? We share a commitment to excellence and a desire to work in a comfortable, friendly atmosphere, so we only hire nice, bright, funny people who are willing to work hard. Our credo is a simple one: be helpful. And we think we can be most helpful if our workforce is as diverse in thought, perspective, and culture as the people who use our products. We are looking to add amazing folks to our team who will bring diversity across many lines, including race, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, gender identity, sex, and country of origin.
ARE THERE ANY PERKS? Yes, we love perks.
- Competitive pay, 401(k) with matching and benefits. We pay 100% of the cost of premiums for medical, dental, vision, disability and life insurance for our employees (as long as you qualify for our tobacco-free discount; if you’re a tobacco user, your medical premiums will be higher than $0). We also cover a really nice chunk of the cost of premiums for spouse/dependent medical, dental and vision insurance.
- Casual dress and a flexible schedule. Come in a sweatshirt, jeans, whatever, like everyone else here.
- Creative work environment. We are lucky to work in a place that is full of intelligent, talented and innovative folks. Although most hours the place is deathly quiet (we're a focused bunch), this is punctuated with hilarious outbursts and general merriment, which makes a nice way to spend the day.
- Free food. Every week, we stock our kitchen with free healthy snack foods, and we have a catered lunch every other week to give people a reason to hang out and eat together.
- Easy transportation and lots of love for folks who bike to work. We’re really close to the North/Clybourn red line stop and the Halsted (#8) bus (right by the Apple Store and Mega Whole Foods too), and we have a transit FSA that allows you to dedicate pre-tax dollars to public transportation expenses. A number of our employees like to bike to work, so we also have bike storage, showers and lockers in the office. And for those without their own bike in the city, we offer free divvy memberships – complete with Jellyvision bike helmets you can borrow from the office.
- Did we mention our yoga class? We bring a pro instructor right to the office. Fully subsidized by Jellyvision and fully optional, btw.
- Oh! And we have a massage chair. Not just any massage chair, my friend. It’s the HumanTouch HT 5320 WholeBody™ Massage Chair. Feeling a little stiff? Sit down. Relax. Feel better? Good. Okay, back to work.
AND HOW DO I APPLY?
We look forward to hearing about you and what you do. Make sure your application includes:
- A cover letter that highlights three reasons you think you’d be great for the gig, focusing on how your past experience has prepared you for this kind of position. Writing is key to all we do, and we weigh cover letters heavily. We love a cover letter that really shows us your personality (check out our company bios to see the wide range of personalities we’ve already got in house), but don’t stress if you’re not a comedian. You don’t have to be funny. Just be yourself. We’re mostly interested in learning who you are, what you love to do, and why you’d love to do it here with us.
- Your resume
You will receive an auto-reply confirming that we've received your application.
Please know that every single application we receive is read by a real live human being. However that kind of thoughtful review takes time, so it may take us a little while to get back to you (but we will, we promise). In the meantime, NO FOLLOW UP PHONE CALLS OR EMAILS, PLEASE. It’s not that we don’t love hearing from you. It’s just that time spent responding to follow ups could be spent…well…reading your application. Please rest assured that if you received a confirmation from Recruiting Robot, we’ve got your application, and will get back to you really soon. We knew you’d understand.
If you still have pressing questions in the meantime, please feel free to check out our handy-dandy FAQ page!
Thanks for your interest in Jellyvision!