Corporate Counsel at Upwork
Upwork ($UPWK) is the leading tech solution for companies looking to hire the best talent, maintain flexibility, and get more done. We’re passionate about our mission to create economic opportunities so people have better lives. Every year, more than $2 billion of work is done through Upwork by skilled professionals who want the freedom of working anytime, anywhere. Top companies connecting with extraordinary talent around the globe? Upwork is how.
Upwork’s Legal & Policy Team is comprised of a special group of professionals. Our team’s Mission Statement is to enable, accelerate and protect Upwork’s business in a collaborative and innovative manner. Our team’s Core Values are Clarity, Communication, Collaboration, Compassion, Courage and Continuous Improvement. We also believe that exhibiting Trust, Feedback, Accountability, Inclusion and Self-Awareness are foundational behaviors that enable us to live up to our team’s Mission Statement and Core Values.
Our award-winning team loves to work on cutting-edge legal issues, generate creative business solutions to enable the company’s continued growth in a compliant manner, and enable the new world of remote work for millions of independent professionals and clients globally in over 180 countries. We also possess a passion for what we do. The Upwork legal team has been the recipient of The Recorder’s prestigious 2016 Legal Department of the Year (Emerging Companies) award. The team has also been recognized by The Financial Times as One of the Top 25 Most Innovative In-House Legal Teams in North America.Your Responsibilities:
- Assisting in all areas related to corporate and securities matters, including Securities Act and Exchange Act matters
- Preparing and reviewing SEC filings, including Forms 10-K, 10-Q and 8-K, proxy statements and Section 16 filings
- Assisting with investor relations matters, including review of earnings announcements, earnings scripts, press releases and other materials
- Assisting with corporate social responsibility program
- Supporting the stock administration department with equity matters
- Preparing for annual stockholder meetings, including planning and logistics
- Assisting with the preparation of materials for board of directors and committee meetings, including board decks and meeting minutes
- Supporting M&A and other strategic transactions, including working with the corporate development team
- Advising on corporate governance, executive compensation and related matters, as well as updating and managing applicable corporate governance policies and procedures
- Keeping up to date and advising on potential impact of new and proposed securities law and corporate governance developments, market trends and best practices
- Developing, refining and maintaining policies and procedures to ensure compliance with SEC and other securities-related regulatory requirements applicable to publicly-traded companies, including Regulation FD and insider trading matters
- Managing outside counsel in all appropriate subject matters
- 4+ years relevant corporate and securities experience at a major law firm and/or in-house at a public company
- Resourceful self-starter with a positive attitude and strong work ethic
- Corporate and securities
- Experience preparing and reviewing SEC filings
- Assisted on mergers and acquisitions and other strategic transactions
- Team player who welcomes responsibility
- Good judgment, risk management skills and ability to balance business needs, regulatory obligations and reputational risks in a practical way
- Strong written and verbal communications skills
- A demonstrated ability to collaborate, as well as to work independently, balancing competing priorities in a fast-paced environment with a high level of professionalism
Come change how the world works.
At Upwork, you’ll shape talent solutions for how the world works today. Whether you’re working from our offices in San Francisco, Santa Clara, and Chicago or are part of our globally distributed team, we’re working together to create exciting remote work opportunities for a global community of professionals. Our vibrant culture is built on a common mission and shared values. As we create economic opportunities so that people have better lives, our employees build amazing teams, put our community first and have a bias towards action. We encourage team Upwork to bring their whole selves to work through learning and development opportunities, mentorship, and employee resource groups. All that and amazing benefits too? We’ve got you covered (especially with our company favorite, Work Online Wednesdays). Check out our Life at Upwork page to learn more about the employee experience.
Upwork is proudly committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we never discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical condition), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.