Deputy General Counsel at Root
This position supports the Senior Deputy General Counsel with emphasis on providing legal support and leadership with respect to product regulatory filings (forms and rates), compliance and relationships, including managing relationships with outside regulatory counsel. The position will also help the business with other compliance-related matters, including market conduct, consumer complaints and information security and privacy issues.
In addition to product regulatory-related legal work, the position will also support the Senior Deputy General Counsel with all other legal research, writing and reviews as assigned. The successful candidate will have responsibility for matters in certain specific states while another member of the legal team handles matters in other states.
The position provides challenging and rewarding opportunities to support a variety of business partners and to be involved in various aspects of the business.
- Supports the Product and Actuarial teams with legal support and leadership with respect to product regulatory filings, compliance and relationships.
- Oversee policy document creation and compliance along with the filing of policy documents and rate filings.
- Supports marketing and advertising efforts to maintain compliance with brand guidelines and state requirements.
- Supports business partners with market conduct-related examination planning and processes.
- Manages the company’s formal response processes with respect to consumer complaints filed with various departments of insurance.
- Supports the General Counsel in providing legal research, writing and reviews with respect to all aspects of the business, including licensure associated with market and product expansion.
- Assists business partners with information security and privacy-related questions and compliance matters.
- Develops and/or maintains insurance industry trade association and other professional relationships as necessary to properly network, stay current on new or proposed laws and anticipate trends that may impact the business.
- Minimum 10 years of relevant legal experience with the majority being employed in the property and casualty insurance business or providing legal advice to that business. Personal lines insurance-related experience preferred.
- Demonstrated track record of working with insurance regulators to resolve a variety of regulatory matters, including product form and rate questions.
- Licensed to practice law in at least one state and in good standing.
- Demonstrated self-starter skills, including a career path exemplified by taking on more diverse and sophisticated problem-solving tasks over time.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively in teams of various sizes.
- Demonstrated ability to manage a variety of sometimes unrelated tasks and projects and to work with business partners to meet their timelines and expectations.
At Root, we judge people based on the merit of their work, not who they are. Very few (if any!) people will fit every description; so if you are passionate about what this role entails, and are excited by solving real problems, we encourage you to apply; we want to learn about you, and what you can add to our team! You need not have a background in insurance or data, but should be skilled at developing fluency in emerging technology, evolving industries, and net new industries; you quickly get up to speed and identify what matters/locate the opportunity for a partner, business, and product.
What draws people to Root.
We’re a venture-backed technology company. Our early success is in large part due to our unwavering standards in hiring. We recognize that our product is only as good as the people building and promoting it. We look for individuals who find solutions by going through the cycle of ideation to implementation with curiosity, rigor, and a highly analytical lens. Ask anyone who works here and you’ll hear similar reasons for why they joined:
Autonomy. For assertive self-starters, the opportunities to contribute are limitless.
Impact. By challenging the way it’s always been done, we solve problems that have a big impact on our business.
Collaboration. We encourage rich discussion and civil debate at every turn.
People. We are inspired by the collection of crazy-smart people around us.