What we do
At Civis, we take a science-first approach to solving business problems using person-level data. With a blend of proprietary technology and statistical advisory services, we help public and private sector organizations find, understand and connect with the people they care about, so they can stop guessing and start using mathematical proof to guide decisions. We know others use “data science” and “analytics” as buzzwords, but at Civis we don’t stand for fluff, and we will always deliver scalable products and technologies — not PowerPoints — to drive your business forward. Learn more about Civis at www.civisanalytics.com.
Our mission is to bring objective, data-driven truth to organizational decision-making – all the way from the boardroom to the world’s largest social causes.
What we are looking for
As Civis’s General Counsel, you will be a trusted business partner in setting Civis’s strategic direction and projects, and serve as a key member of the leadership team. We’re looking for a GC who gets as excited as we do about our mission to build a truly data-driven world, and who enjoys the challenge of creatively navigating your way through a complex, ever-evolving legal and data protection landscape that seems to change almost daily.
As well as being a key contributor to our leadership, you will be responsible for leading and growing the Justice League — our highly driven, intellectually curious, and business-friendly team that oversees our legal, data protection, and compliance strategy. Also, as General Counsel, you’ll personally oversee all aspects of our business including capital markets, product, IP, regulatory, commercial, corporate, policy, compliance, privacy, and employment.
We think Civis will play a significant role not just in advancing data science but also in shaping the developing legal and regulatory landscape that will define this new era of the information age. This is an opportunity to help lead a growing technology company and work on novel issues in a fast-paced and exciting environment. If you think this sounds like a cool challenge, we’d love to talk to you!
Due to the uncertainty of COVID-19, all Civis offices are closed and all employees are remote for the foreseeable future. This is being closely monitored as things change and it’s likely our offices will reopen. Because of this uncertainty, we want to ensure candidates are open to relocating to our Chicago office in the future.
- You recognize that all fast-growing businesses must take countless thoughtful, strategic risks and that you and your team’s role is to help Civis decide which risks are better to take.
- Our business is built on our ethics and client trust, and you recognize that reputational and optics issues are as important as legal risk. You will lead all ethics-related matters, serve as the primary guardian of Civis’s reputation and ethical culture, and navigate the company through all ethics, reputational, and optics issues.
- Build, develop, and lead a highly-driven, intellectually curious, and business-friendly team that oversees legal, data protection, and compliance.
- Advise and support all aspects of our business and help drive company-wide initiatives including with regard to capital markets, data strategy, product, data protection, and regulatory compliance
- Advise leadership on corporate governance and fundraising, including stock administration, board matters, and other external and internal policy matters
- With the help of your team, draft, review and negotiate all legal documentation and negotiate legal issues across all aspects of the business, including commercial agreements and transaction documents associated with equity raises, securitizations, etc
- Keep up with the wide range of rapidly-evolving laws that affect Civis’ business
One small (but important) requirement before we get to qualifications:
We want to know more about you than what's on your resume, so please include a cover letter to discuss what interests you about Civis, our work, and the analytics field in general. Please also use the cover letter to explain why you would be a great fit for Civis and this role.
- J.D. from an ABA-accredited law school and member in good standing of at least one state bar
- 8+ years of substantive in-house legal experience, ideally with fast-growing, venture-backed technology companies
- Proven experience building and leading successful teams in high-growth environments
- Strong understanding of cloud computing, technical aspects of data protection, and data science-related technologies. We believe this level of understanding is essential in the person who fills this role to ensure that they are able to effectively anticipate potential risks and create thoughtful solutions that account not just for legal risk but also technical constraints and product priorities
- High emotional intelligence with an ability to influence collaboratively across the company
- A keen sense of potential reputational, optics, or communications pitfalls, and a demonstrated ability to craft and develop multi-dimensional strategies and tactics to navigate the company around these pitfalls
- A results-driven attitude and an affinity for creatively navigating complex issues and developing novel solutions in an ever-evolving area of technology
- Passion - We love what we do and the impact we make, and we want our colleagues to be as excited as we are about Civis’s mission and coming into work each day
Why join our team?
- The opportunity to be part of a growing tech startup focused on solving interesting and meaningful problems, invested in internal promotion, and committed to fostering a diverse, equal and inclusive workplace.
- Competitive benefits, including unlimited PTO, 401K match with immediate vesting, health, dental, and vision benefits, fully paid parental leave, breastfeeding support including breastmilk shipping services for traveling moms, commuter benefits, wellness initiatives including weekly group meditations, monthly on-site massage therapy, and pet insurance.
- To support employees in our now fully remote work environment, we also have expanded our virtual journal and book clubs, Donut Pals (organized virtual coffee meet-ups), Lightning Talks (5-minute presentations on anything you’d like), Lunch-and-Learns, and HR Open Discussions (bi-weekly meet-up where we discuss ideas and topics of the day in a casual format). We are also able to support and accommodate flexible work from home schedules to help employees juggle responsibilities at home.
Civis Analytics embraces the individuality of our employees and we celebrate each other's differences. Our products, services, and culture benefit from and thrive on the unique perspectives brought by each person in our community. We're proud to be an equal opportunity workplace, and we are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, age, sex, color, ancestry, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, citizenship, marital status, disability, or Veteran status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please contact [email protected]
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States.
Note to external recruiters
Civis does not accept resumes for this position from external recruiters. Please do not forward resumes to any recruiting alias or employee. Civis is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.
EEO IS THE LAW