Morningstar is seeking an attorney as a corporate generalist (preferably with in-house experience) to draft, review and negotiate contracts for complex commercial transactions and to provide advice and guidance on a variety of other legal matters affecting the operations of Morningstar and its affiliated companies. The position is at Morningstar's global corporate headquarters in downtown Chicago, IL.
1) Work with Morningstar Sales and Product personnel to draft, negotiate and counsel on data, research and software licensing matters, data aggregation arrangements and other commercial contracts (e.g., NDAs) related to the products/services Morningstar makes available to its customers in the U.S. and abroad.
2) Work with Morningstar Sales, Investment Advisory and Compliance personnel to draft, negotiate and advise on consulting and investment advisory agreements between certain Morningstar affiliates and their clients.
3) Counsel on issues related to ERISA, the Investment Advisers Act and the consulting/investment advisory services provided by various Morningstar affiliates.
4) Work with Morningstar's Procurement Department personnel to review and negotiate data licensing, consulting, IT and related contracts with Morningstar's vendors.
5) Advise on information security, privacy and related issues.
6) Provide counsel and logistical support to respond to subpoenas and other governmental orders served on Morningstar.
7) As needed, work with Morningstar internal resources (including other members of the Legal Department) and external counsel in connection with on-going litigation, real estate matters, mergers and acquisitions, corporate restructuring projects and other, similar types of work.
1) Admitted to practice law in the State of Illinois.
2) At least eight (8) years' experience providing corporate legal support for a multi-national corporation, including substantial experience with data and software licensing and exposure to other routine commercial matters.
3) Strong background advising on ERISA and investment advisory issues.
4) Strong negotiating and drafting skills, with demonstrated experience working with both internal teams and external clients.