PEAK6 is a leading investment firm headquartered in Chicago. More than 20 years ago, we were one of the first firms to develop sophisticated proprietary technology in our trading business. Today, we leverage our technical ingenuity and operational ability across a number of investment areas, spanning early- to mid-stage growth capital, operational control, trading, and sports management, with an eye toward providing value to the customer. Over the years, we have built and operated several leading financial technology firms and today our team includes a digital wealth clearinghouse, an outsource provider of flood insurance, a Premier League soccer team, a value investment arm, an incubation lab, and more.
You’ll be responsible for:
- General legal support services for the organization’s legal team and across all PEAK6 businesses.
- Overseeing the organization’s contracts management system and working collaboratively across business units to gather external legacy contracts and consolidate, organize, and facilitate the data migration process.
- Managing contract life cycle, including archiving executed agreements, assisting procurement with termination notices, and communicating with the business regarding ongoing contract needs.
- Drafting, revising, reviewing and analyzing commercial contracts and other legal agreements, including NDAs, in a timely fashion while accurately reflecting the business transaction and minimizing risk.
- Supporting contract negotiation as needed.
- Tracking contract deliverables, including certificates, and other ongoing contractual obligations
- Collaborating on and revise legal operations processes
- Assisting with entity management, including formation and dissolution of entities, various annual requirements, and communication with state agents
- Supporting internal data privacy initiatives, including privacy and security program projects and initiatives in collaboration with legal, compliance and information security leads
- Legal research and analysis, including review of commercial agreement forms, statutes, regulations, ordinances, case law, legal articles, treaties, constitutions, and legal codes
- Providing litigation and employee relations support for administration charges, demand letters, federal/state cases, and internal investigations, including assisting with gathering relevant documents, responding to discovery requests, preparing witnesses and exhibits, preparing and monitoring litigation holds, liaising with outside litigation counsel
- Other duties as assigned by the Chief Legal Officer and other internal counsel
You’ll gain loads of experience in this role but before you do, you should have:
- 5+ years of experience in a corporate legal department or law firm
- A bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university and ABA approved Paralegal Certificate
- Experience assisting the negotiation of NDAs and a wide variety of commercial contracts, including software licensing agreements, hardware purchasing agreements, and services agreements that has resulted in a strong understanding of contract terms and conditions
- Experience creating contract templates and/or managing contract databases
- An extremely organized systematic way of thinking with strong project management skills
- Utmost integrity and ethics; demonstrated ability to maintain absolute confidentiality and operate at the highest level of discretion
- A desire to learn and function within new areas of law
- The ability to effectively track and manage multiple projects
- The ability to prioritize, multitask, and demonstrate urgency and respect for deadlines without compromising work quality
- Proficiency in G-Suite, MS Office including Word, Outlook, Excel & PowerPoint
- Financial Services/Fintech experience preferred