Product, Intellectual Property & Regulatory Affairs Director
Product, Intellectual Property & Regulatory Affairs Director | San Francisco, California, Seattle Washington or Chicago, Illinois
Our agreement with employees
DocuSign is committed to building trust and making the world more agree-able for our employees, customers and the communities in which we live and work. You can count on us to listen, be honest, and try our best to do what’s right, every day. At DocuSign, everything is equal. We each have a responsibility to ensure every team member has an equal opportunity to succeed, to be heard, to exchange ideas openly, to build lasting relationships, and to do the work of their life. Best of all, you will be able to feel deep pride in the work you do, because your contribution helps us make the world better than we found it. And for that, you’ll be loved by us, our customers, and the world in which we live.
The Legal team helps DocuSign achieve strategic goals, manage legal risk, and preserve the legal and ethical integrity of the company. We are regularly involved in critical, complex operations, and partner across the business to solve challenging problems to support our growth and progress globally. We focus on providing thorough analysis and offer legal advice to foster sound decision-making and ensuring compliance with legal and other relevant standards and certifications.
This position will work closely with other members of the Legal Department and DocuSign business, in both staff and operations, advising them on key issues of interest and providing them with both legal and business advice to support their needs. The Director will work with a wide variety of business partners to provide timely, thorough and strategic advice on the product, IP and regulatory issues at DocuSign.
This position reports to the Deputy General Counsel, Product, IP & Regulatory Affairs.
- Advising on product-specific legal and business issues that span different markets and geographies.
- Drafting, negotiating, reviewing and advising on technology and IP licenses relating to DocuSign’s products and services.
- Creating and supporting DocuSign’s intellectual property (IP) program, including providing legal and strategic guidance on patents, copyrights, trademarks, and trade secrets.
- Support IP infringement assertions and litigation matters.
- Support DocuSign’s compliance program to ensure compliance with applicable laws and regulations and good business practices through the updating, development and improvement of relevant policies and procedures across the organization.
- Providing reports on a regular basis to keep senior management informed of the progress and status of the compliance programs and advise them in new developments in regulatory compliance
- Coordinate with the HR Department to develop an effective compliance training program, including appropriate introductory training for new employees and ongoing training for existing staff
- 12+ years of experience as a practicing attorney; with experience in as many of the following regulatory areas as possible: intellectual property, global data privacy and protection, HIPAA, cloud computing, competition law, and trade controls.
- Law firm and in-house work experience, preferably with an enterprise software or SaaS company.
- Active State Bar membership in California and/or Washington.
- Experience with IP matters, including IP transactions, counseling, and litigation, spanning all forms of IP
- Experience with internal and external investigations
- Experience working with regulatory compliance
- Ability to maintain productive work relationships and work collaboratively with legal area specialists to efficiently resolve issues
- Registration to practice before the US Patent and Trademark Office
About us DocuSign® helps organizations connect and automate how they prepare, sign, act on, and manage agreements. As part of the DocuSign Agreement Cloud, DocuSign offers eSignature: the world's #1 way to sign electronically on practically any device, from almost anywhere, at any time. Today, hundreds of thousands of customers and hundreds of millions of users in over 180 countries use DocuSign to accelerate the process of doing business and simplify people's lives. Plus, we save more trees together! And that’s a good thing. DocuSign is an Equal Opportunity Employer. DocuSign is committed to building a diverse team of talented individuals who bring different perspectives to the business and who feel a sense of inclusion and belonging when they join our team. Individuals seeking employment at DocuSign are considered without regards to race, ethnicity, color, age, sex, religion, national origin, ancestry, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, physical or mental disability, domestic partner status, caregiver status, marital status, veteran or military status, citizenship status, or any other legally protected category