Senior Counsel, IP—Brand Protection at Green Thumb Industries (GTI)
!Sorry, this job was removed at 11:24 a.m. (CST) on Friday, May 3, 2019
Green Thumb Industries (GTI), a national cannabis consumer packaged goods company and retailer, is dedicated to providing dignified access to safe and effective cannabis while giving back to the communities in which they serve. As a vertically integrated company, GTI manufactures and sells a well-rounded suite of branded cannabis products including flower, concentrates, edibles, and topicals. The company also owns and operates a rapidly growing national chain of retail cannabis stores called RISE™. Headquartered in Chicago, Illinois, GTI has 11 manufacturing facilities, licenses for 72 retail locations and operations across 12 U.S. markets. Established in 2014, GTI employs approximately 600 people and serves thousands of patients and customers each year. GTI was named a Best Workplace 2018 by Crain’s Chicago Business. More information is available at GTIgrows.com.
Corporate Counsel for IP will be responsible for reviewing, updating and maintaining (and, where necessary, creating) the company’s policies and practices for brand protection and patent protection. This role also will be responsible for monitoring and protecting all of the Company’s intellectual property, and for ensuring that the Company respects the intellectual property rights of others. We move quick here at GTI so be ready and willing to work in a fast-paced environment and be prepared to build something new.
- Primaryresponsibility for IP brand protection work, offensively and defensively.
- Ensure that the Company respects the IP rights of others.
- Review marketing materials for IP clearance purposes.
- Review IP acquired in connection with any M&A activity and provide transactional and integration assistance for IP matters.
- Assist in IP-related litigation.
- Manage outside counsel and related budgets.
- Help build a positive work culture for everyone.
- 5-12 years of legal experience practicing in IP, with some experience working with a nationally-known firm.
- Experience in brand protection work.
- Some familiarity with patent law is preferred but not necessary for this role.
- Must have the knowledge and skills to build policies and procedures to support a growing business.
- Flexibility and ability to response quickly to shifting demands & priorities.
- Must be knowledgeable about all aspects of IP work.
- Excellent interpersonal, analytical, problem-solving, and organizational skills.
- Advanced communication skills and ability to understand, interpret and convey legal information to non-legal people.
- High degree of accuracy and attention to detail
- Excellent judgment; able to handle multiple projects and set priorities
- Able and willing to handle a variety of tasks across a broad range of substantive areas and to learn new areas quickly.
- Operates with a high level of professionalism and integrity, including dealing with confidential information
- Works well with a team.
- Maintain an active license to practice law in IL or satisfy the requirements of Illinois Supreme Court Rule 716.
- Must pass any and all required background checks
- Must be and remain compliant with all legal or company regulations for working in the industry
At GTI we believe that our corporate community should be a reflection of the communities we serve. We are dedicated to fostering an inclusive culture that celebrates diversity across race, sex, age, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, nationality, religion, experience, and thought—not only because it is right, but because it makes us better. Our mission—the right to wellness—informs our commitment to champion economic opportunities in communities disproportionately affected by the war on drugs through employment and community involvement. GTI is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace.
We can't wait to meet you.
Read Full Job Description