Senior Counsel, Labor & Employment
Green Thumb Industries (GTI), a national cannabis consumer packaged goods company and retailer, is dedicated to providing dignified access to safe and effective cannabis while giving back to the communities in which they serve. As a vertically integrated company, GTI manufactures and sells a well-rounded suite of branded cannabis products including flower, concentrates, edibles, and topicals. The company also owns and operates a rapidly growing national chain of retail cannabis stores called RISE™. Headquartered in Chicago, Illinois, GTI has 11 manufacturing facilities, licenses for 72 retail locations and operations across 12 U.S. markets. Established in 2014, GTI employs approximately 600 people and serves thousands of patients and customers each year. GTI was named a Best Workplace 2018 by Crain’s Chicago Business. More information is available at GTIgrows.com.
The successful candidate will be responsible for the following activities: providing day-to-day legal counseling in labor and employment law matters; employee benefits advice; defending the Company in labor and employment disputes; conducting investigations; preparing responses to administrative charges and inquiries; conducting research and training; maintaining current and state-of-the-art employment documents and policies throughout the company; and, developing and delivering preventive law presentations. The position requires collaboration with and management of outside counsel and strong working relationships with internal clients. This role will report into a member of the legal leadership team.
- Primary responsibility for all employment and HR related legal issues.
- Update/create all necessary employment agreements and policies.
- Provide advice regarding employment benefits.
- Ensure that the company’s employee documents and policies are compliant and state-of-the-art.
- Counseling HR and other internal employees with respect to employment issues.
- Ensuring compliance with all applicable employment laws and regulations and internal policies.
- Handle employment related disputes, whether with the EEOC or any state agency, state or federal courts.
- Provide advice and guidance regarding hiring, separations and other employment matters.
- Handle internal investigations concerning employment-related issues.
- Create and oversee effective training programs.
- Work with M&A team on employment integration.
- Effective management of outside counsel and related budgets.
- Be willing to take on additional responsibilities and learn new skills.
- Help build a positive work culture for everyone.
- 5-10 years of legal experience practicing in the areas of labor and employment.
- Experience with a nationally known firm is required.
- Broad experience touching on a variety of employment issues and union/labor matters.
- Must be a proactive self-starter who understands details within a larger context and who can anticipate and avoid issues before they happen.
- Must have the knowledge and skills to build policies and procedures to support a growing business.
- Flexibility and ability to response quickly to shifting demands & priorities
- Excellent interpersonal, analytical, problem-solving, and organizational skills.
- Advanced communication skills and ability to understand, interpret and convey legal information to non-legal people.
- High degree of accuracy and attention to detail
- Excellent judgment; able to handle multiple projects and set priorities
- Able and willing to learn new areas quickly.
- Operates with a high level of professionalism and integrity, including dealing with confidential information
- Works well with a team.
- Maintain an active license to practice law in IL or satisfy Illinois Supreme Court Rule 716.
- Must pass any and all required background checks
- Must be and remain compliant with all legal or company regulations for working in the industry
We can't wait to meet you!
Read Full Job Description