Senior Legal Counsel
About Camelot Illinois:
Camelot Illinois has been awarded the contract as the new private manager of the Illinois Lottery. In partnership with the state, Camelot will operate a modern lottery that truly benefits the people of Illinois.
Camelot's innovative approach places consumers and social responsibility at its core, providing funding for schools, capital projects and special causes. Camelot is committed to building an organization with the strength and experience to grow the lottery and reinforce its rightful position as a force for good.
Camelot Illinois is a subsidiary of Camelot Global, a leading technology and professional services provider to lotteries around the world. Camelot Global’s portfolio of work includes the Irish National Lottery, Loterie Romande (Switzerland), the California State Lottery, the Kentucky Lottery and the Arkansas Scholarship Lottery, among others.
Our sister company, Camelot UK, has operated the UK National Lottery since 1994. Camelot UK has an unrivaled track record for success, helping the UK National Lottery deliver over $80 billion to winners and $46 billion to good causes to date.
Within Camelot Illinois, the Senior Counsel will report directly to the VP of Compliance & General Counsel. This role will be vital in delivering on our Freedom of Information Act commitments. Provide accurate and timely counsel to executives in a variety of legal matters.
- Provision of comprehensive legal and compliance advice on business initiatives and issues across the business, including in specialised areas of law where required.
- Provision of comprehensive education, training and compliance activity across the business in relation to all legal and regulatory requirements.
- Identifying and making recommendations in relation to business risks.
- Leading and supporting attorneys (internal or external) and other team members to work with clients and third parties to thoroughly analyze legal issues, obtain all necessary information and make appropriate recommendations.
- Liaising and working on business initiatives and with project teams, including providing appropriate legal advice to support the delivery of business and project objectives.
- Drafting legal documents, including contracts, terms and conditions, and lottery game rules
- Supporting negotiations with suppliers and third parties, commercial partners and regulators (including the State).
- Representing Camelot Illinois in legal disputes with third parties, commercial partners and regulators (including the State).
- Coaching, managing and developing department staff.
- Maintaining strong and positive relationships with the State.
- Company secretarial requirements.
- Bachelor’s degree.
- Juris Doctor degree.
- Currently licensed to practice law in the State of Illinois. (license must be of good-standing)
- 5 plus years legal experience in several areas of legal practice including corporate transactions and governance experience.
- Government or related industry/client experience, including in the areas of compliance and risk management.
- Knowledge of public procurement laws and best practices.
- Experience managing outside counsel.
- Preferably have trained with a tier 1 law firm, having high quality experience in one or more regulated sectors (not necessarily lottery or gambling). You will also have a wide-ranging commercial and/or corporate experience.
- Exposure to working directly with all operational divisions of an organization. (IT, finance, marketing, etc.)
- Demonstrate superior written and oral communications skills, and excellent interpersonal skills.
- Be able to work well with business and legal colleagues, both internally and externally.
- Have demonstrated the ability to approach issues with both a rigorous attention to detail and a big picture strategic focus.
- Proven record of prioritizing multiple projects simultaneously while meeting deadlines.
- High level of integrity with strong decision making skills.
- Be a ‘self-starter’ and be able to build the structures needed to make the legal and compliance function a success.
WHY WORK FOR US
Camelot Illinois is building a transformative lottery company with world-class people, technology and operations. The Camelot values of being honest, creating together, keeping it simple and thinking long term are embedded in the design of our organization and our plans for Illinois.
- Be Honest: We do what we say, we keep our promises and we don’t rest until we’ve earned each other’s respect
- Create Together: The most effective solutions come from strong collaboration, a culture of innovation, shared goals and respect for everyone’s expertise.
- Keep It Simple: We keep things simple, direct and transparent so customers in particular always know where they stand.
- Think Long Term: We work with customers to build successful lotteries for the next generation, not just the next day.
We want people who thrive in a relaxed, autonomous, results-driven environment to join our company. We believe the way to attract and retain the best talent is to offer a fulfilling career in an organization committed to growing its own future leaders. Career Development is a top priority and we will partner with employees to grow and progress their professional skill sets.
Benefits and Employee Policies
We will bring our experience of working with European lotteries to Illinois. We will also bring a European influence to paid time off, family leave and so on. We have created a strong ethical culture which is translated to each of our employees and business dealings globally. We aim to offer a package of benefits and policies which will compete with any private sector employer in the state. We ensure that every employee is engaged and has the necessary support to understand and implement the responsible gaming principles in their job.
Moreover, we pledge to have the highest standards of respect, diversity and inclusion at our company and will support and encourage our partners to do the same.
Camelot Illinois is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, and other legally protected characteristics.