Digital Marketing Intern
JELLYVISION NEEDS A DIGITAL MARKETING INTERN
We here at Jellyvision are the proud parents of ALEX®, an interactive employee communications platform that happens to share some DNA (and a sense of humor) with the smash-hit trivia video game YOU DON’T KNOW JACK®, created by Jellyvision's founder. ALEX makes navigating tricky decisions—like choosing and using employee benefits or improving your financial wellness—easier, faster, and more helpful, not to mention entertaining. The success of the ALEX platform has exceeded our wildest dreams (except for the part right before we woke up where our mom was riding a giraffe), which is why we need talented folks like you to help us help ALEX take over the world…er…continue to grow and succeed.
THAT’S LOVELY… BUT WHAT’S THIS I HEAR ABOUT AN INTERNSHIP?
For Summer 2018, Jellyvision is looking for a marketing intern to join the company and learn about what we do and how we do it. Before we get to the specific roles we’re looking to fill, here’s the lowdown on the internship program in general:
Length: The internship will start in May or June (depending on your school schedule) and wrap up in August. Only candidates who will be available for this entire period will be considered. Interns work full-time, Monday through Friday.
Who’s eligible: Current college students in any year of study.
Travel/Lodging: Non-local interns will be responsible for finding their own lodging and arranging travel to Chicago for the internship.
WHAT DOES THE JELLYVISION INTERNSHIP PROGRAM OFFER?
-Competitive pay. Specifically, $500/week. (If you would prefer to receive credit for the internship along with compensation, let us know the name of the contact person at your school who can approve internships for credit and we will see if we can arrange a for-credit internship according to your school’s guidelines.)
- The opportunity to contribute to Jellyvision’s amazing marketing campaigns through specific short-term assignments. You’ll be doing work that matters. (We hire one marketing intern, so there’s a lot of responsibility on your plate!) You won’t be making copies all day, stuck in a back room filing papers, or fetching coffee—interns sit with and are valued members of the team.
-Mentoring and feedback from members of Jellyvision’s talented and thoughtful staff.
-Social events designed to give interns exposure to staff outside their core work area within the company.
-Bottom line – the opportunity to do good work, with fun people, in a relaxed and casual environment.
OK, I COULD COME HANG OUT WITH YOU JELLYPEOPLE. WHAT ARE YOU SPECIFICALLY LOOKING FOR IN A DIGITAL MARKETING INTERN?
We need a motivated intern with brilliant ideas to help brainstorm, develop and manage digital marketing programs for ALEX. We're looking for someone who is ready to jump in and handle the coordination of ideas and projects to keep things running smoothly and to keep people interested in all the amazing content we produce, as well as support the needs of our growing Jellycrew of salespeople, account managers, and product managers. This involves:
- Digital Marketing Dynamite. You’ll create electric paid social media marketing campaigns, tinkering and testing until you get the messaging just right for the best lead generation results.
- Email Marketing Chops. You’ll support the content and strategy for both our ongoing email programs and special, targeted email campaigns, creating email content, tracking performance and updating stakeholders.
- Content Leveraging. Thanks to our ALEX writing wizards, we have loads of fantastically helpful content around benefits, open enrollment, financial wellness, Halloween costume ideas, etc. You’ll help us leverage our content by putting it in front of the right eyeballs through digital marketing channels.
- ROI Tracking. To make sure we’re on target to hit our revenue goals, you’ll help our team track progress towards our lead generation and sales revenue goals.
- Team Communication and Coordination. There’s a lot going on within our team, so you will help our project managers keep everyone aware of your research, the latest marketing activities, and deadlines.
TO BE SUCCESSFUL IN THIS INTERNSHIP, WE THINK THESE SKILLS WOULD COME IN HANDY:
Attention to detail. This is listed first on purpose. Our team has many initiatives going on at once, and it’s important to know the ins and outs of each project to keep them on track. Having a keen attention to detail will also help you identify opportunities and schedule timelines for new ideas and projects that fit into the mix.
Self-sufficiency. We’ll train you about how our process works, and every day you will work alongside writers, project managers and senior-level marketing team members. You will have tasks and projects to work on, but you are in charge of managing your own schedule and speaking up about your wonderful marketing ideas.
Communication skills. In our fast-paced environment, you need to make sure that the writers, the production team, the sales staff, external vendors and the rest of the marketing team are kept up to date in the most efficient manner possible.
Writing skills. Writing is essential to everything we do at Jellyvision, but particularly for this role, you should be able to capture our brand voice and infuse it into email and paid social media campaigns.
Calm under pressure. You won’t be doing air traffic control, but during the busy times it might feel like it. We’re plenty nice to work with, but we’re plenty busy, too. If you have a cool-headed, calming presence in times of stress, we’ll all be much happier.
WHAT OTHER CHARACTERISTICS SHOULD YOU HAVE?
- Tech savvy. You don’t need any formal training or coding experience, but you need to be comfortable learning how to use a variety of software programs. Things like Excel, wikis, bug-tracking software, etc.
- Be a team player. Please offer to lend a hand to whoever is the most swamped, as time permits.
- Speak up! If you’ve got a fun idea for a marketing project, speak up and make it happen.
- Grace in giving and receiving criticism and feedback.
- Last but not least, while you don’t need to be a comedic genius, a sense of humor is required.
ANYTHING ELSE? Yes. We share a commitment to excellence and a desire to work in a comfortable, friendly atmosphere, so we only hire nice, bright, funny people who are willing to work hard. Our credo is a simple one: be helpful. And we think we can be most helpful if our workforce is as diverse in thought, perspective, and culture as the people who use our products. We are looking to add amazing folks to our team who will bring diversity across many lines, including race, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, gender identity, sex, and country of origin.
SIGN ME UP! HOW DO I APPLY?
Send us a cover letter that clearly indicates:
1) What year you are in school and when you plan to graduate (if applicable);
2) What you think you could contribute to Jellyvision as a Marketing Intern this summer;
3) What you hope to get out of the internship; and
4) Who you are – really let your personality shine through your cover letter! (We weigh cover letters heavily, so have some fun with it. If you’re going to be marketing ALEX, you should be able to market yourself too!)
Also send us a resume that fills us in on your experience to date, especially any previous marketing internships or related student groups you’ve been involved with.
You will receive an auto-reply confirming that we've received your application.
Please know that every single application we receive is read by a real live human being. However that kind of thoughtful review takes time, so it may take us a little while to get back to you (but we will, we promise). In the meantime, NO FOLLOW UP PHONE CALLS OR EMAILS, PLEASE. It’s not that we don’t love hearing from you. It’s just that time spent responding to follow ups could be spent…well…reading your application. Please rest assured that if you received a confirmation from Recruiting Robot, we’ve got your application, and will get back to you really soon. We knew you’d understand.
If you still have pressing questions in the meantime, please feel free to check out our handy-dandy FAQ page!
Thanks for your interest in Jellyvision, and good luck.