Internal Communications Lead
At Sprout Social, our motto is, “open communication creates progress,” and we’re looking for an Internal Communications Lead to join our team and help us continuously deliver on this vision for our employees.
This individual will play a key role in shaping our award-winning employee experience and culture by partnering with teams across the organization to keep employees informed, engaged and inspired. The Internal Communications Lead will lead the planning, development and implementation of company-wide communications strategy, scaling our internal communications practice to support our global growth.
In this role, you will have the opportunity to mix strategic and tactical, hands-on responsibilities while leading communications efforts end-to-end in partnership with teams like people, office operations, IT/security and others. You will represent the communications team as a consultant and partner to our colleagues in every department, using your expertise and understanding of business goals to help leadership tackle challenges and enhance the ways their team communicates.
Our ideal candidate will have demonstrated success developing and executing internal communications at a growing organization and combining creativity with communications expertise and business acumen to delight employees. This individual will have experience and confidence working with senior leadership, exercising discretion and independent judgment and operating in a fast-paced environment as a trusted communications partner.
Our software is used by more than 20,000 customers worldwide including Evernote, Grubhub, Subaru and Edelman. These businesses rely on Sprout to create stronger relationships with their customers through social media. Our team is at the core of creating an incredible experience for our customers, and your efforts will ensure that experience starts from within.
If you’re interested in joining a growing team committed to building an industry-leading communications program and workplace culture, we’d love to talk with you!
Within 1 month, you will...
- Attend two weeks of Sprout Social training to learn the ins and outs of both our company and products to better understand the value that Sprout delivers to our customers.
- Get to know everyone on the Brand and Buzz Squad (marketers + creative team) as well as key communications stakeholders on the People, Operations, IT/Security and Events teams.
- Develop a firm understanding of Sprout’s brand positioning, tone/voice and writing and brand guidelines.
- Familiarize yourself with Sprout’s existing internal communications channels, strategy and processes.
- Soak up knowledge from every team you interact with and ask plenty of questions.
Within 3 months, you will...
- Collaborate with stakeholders to update and maintain the master internal communications calendar, ensuring we’re sending the right messages, at the right times, on the right channels.
- Work with the rest of the comms team to review all internal communications plans and strategies and provide feedback to stakeholders.
- Develop an understanding of our employee audiences, business goals and staffing priorities to proactively plan for the needs of the changing organization.
- Develop timelines and “self-serve” templates to enable partner team communications planning that follows Sprout and industry best practices.
- Get to know members of the executive team to understand how internal communications can better support each of their departments.
- Develop plan for conducting department-specific communications audits and consulting projects to empower all people leaders/managers to become stronger, more effective communicators.
- Listen, listen, listen. Review past employee survey data and speak to employees across the organization to develop an understanding of employee experience and communications highlights and pain points across a diverse range of departments, tenure and seniority.
Within 6 months, you will...
- Conduct departmental audits and consulting project, templatizing the process to roll out with future departments.
- Develop and present recommendations for proactive internal communications campaigns and develop a timeline to execute the first campaign.
- Partner with other members of the Buzz team as well as people, office operations and IT/Security to develop comprehensive, proactive communications playbooks (internal and external) for business risk scenarios.
- Participate in the All-Hands (all-company meeting) planning committee and work closely with members to plan future meetings, select and coach speakers and scale a tradition that began as an in-person meeting to our global team.
- Create and lead a [email protected] (our learning and development program) session for people leaders on internal communication best practices.
- Identify opportunities to gather input and creative ideas for internal communications from across the entire Sprout team.
- Be comfortable and proactive about working with the rest of the Brand & Buzz Squad and the internal communications core stakeholders.
- Play an active role in giving feedback and recommendations to marketing and partner team members while continuously soliciting candid feedback.
Within 12 months, you will...
- Explore new strategies and internal communications frameworks to reach and engage Sprout’s employee audiences.
- Assess and make recommendations for any necessary communications changes or new technology.
- Create an internal communications strategy and roadmap for the year ahead, incorporating both proactive campaigns and ongoing/business critical messaging.
- Communicate strategy, efforts and results with the broader team.
- Identify opportunities for growth and coordinating future expansion of projects with key stakeholders.
- Surprise us! Use your unique ideas and abilities to change our team and the employee experience in beneficial ways that we haven’t even considered yet.
Of course what is outlined above is the ideal timeline, but things may shift based on business needs and other projects and tasks could be added at the discretion of your manager.
About Sprout Social
Sprout Social powers open communication between individuals, brands and communities through elegant, sophisticated software. We are relentless about solving hard problems for our customers and committed to both customer and team success.
Team Sprout is a group of very talented, smart and passionate people with broad interests and backgrounds. We’re proud to regularly be recognized for software, product and company culture achievements. Our team’s shared belief in Sprout’s mission promotes a culture of openness, empowerment and fun. We have built a benefits program to match the strength of our team. This program includes:
- Insurance and benefit options that are built for both individuals and families, including generous company contributions
- Progressive benefit programs, like our parental leave program
- High-quality and well-maintained equipment - your computer will never prevent you from doing your best
- Beautiful, convenient and state-of-the-art offices in Chicago and Seattle
- Solid programs in some of the staples: transportation, disability and life insurance
- Wellness initiatives to ensure both health and financial well-being of our team
- Breakfast and lunch options onsite, and more healthy snack options and beverages than you can imagine
- Growing corporate social responsibility program that is driven by the involvement and passion of our team members
Sprout Social is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and an Affirmative Action Employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, genetic information, marital status, order of protection status, citizenship status, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please
contact us by email at [email protected] and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. Requests for accommodation will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Please note that only inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this email address.
For more information about our commitment to equal employment opportunity, please
click here (1) Equal Opportunity Employment Poster and (2) Sprout Social's Affirmative Action Statement.
Additionally, Sprout Social participates in the E-Verify program in certain locations, as required by law. We value the things that make us different and want to see how you can make our team better!