We are looking for innovative and collaborative Product Marketing Managers (PMM) to join our Product Marketing team. In this role, you will be the Marketing SME and thought-partner on 2-4 Product teams, focusing on accelerating Root’s growth, optimizing the customer experience for our existing products and features, as well as developing the positioning and go-to-market strategies and tactics for new products, partnerships, features, or experiences. You will need outstanding holistic marketing and collaboration skills, with a proven ability to independently lead strategic positioning efforts, recommend consumer-centric products, marketing and communications strategy, and collaborate with a cross-functional team to execute the roadmap. This individual must excel in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment, and have a proven track of developing and driving initiatives that deliver business results.
Reports to Sr Manager, Product Marketing. This position is full-time; on-site in Columbus, OH preferred; select roles considered for remote work. (Currently working remote through 2021.)
What you’ll do.
- You’ll be the Marketing SME at the table with Product, Design, Analytics, Business Development, and Engineering at every phase of product development, and you’ll partner with your Marketing and Creative peers to refine your recommendations and execute the Marketing components of the product roadmap.
- Explore: Leverage (and gather) insights to identify market opportunities. Bring key consumer, competitor, and industry insights to the forefront of team discussions. Understand the broader internal and external consumer/customer context so you can ask good questions and help push the thinking. Act as a voice of the consumer and be a steward of the Root brand. Partner with Product teams to influence the roadmap and provide recommendations to the cross-functional team on opportunities to improve performance.
- Plan: Identify recommended marketing and communication support for Product initiatives and link to larger Marketing priorities, pulling in other Marketing support as needed. Recommend positioning and messaging approaches that reflect the entire user journey. Straddle the line of art and science, strategically considering ways to iteratively test, measure, and optimize the user experience (A/B & multivariate).
- Execute: Identify all relevant Marketing stakeholders and collaboratively refine the Marketing action plan. Develop content, sales enablement materials, creative briefs, and work side-by-side with Product Design and Marketing Creative to create and deliver assets as needed across sales, advertising, web, CRM, PR, customer service, etc. Manage projects and timelines to deliver launches on time and with high quality. Rapidly experiment and iterate to increase conversion and product usage.
- Analyze: Review and synthesize data into learnings or new hypotheses, and provide recommendations for further analysis or exploration, continuously optimizing ROI over time through rapid iteration.
What will help you be successful.
- 5+ years of marketing experience, with proven ability to work at a strategic and tactical level. Prefers getting your hands dirty and implementing programs from start-to-finish.
- Experience leading strategic positioning efforts. Able to think strategically but also execute with strong writing skills and an understanding of holistic marketing planning and execution.
- Superior communication and cross-functional collaboration skills. Able to easily context switch based on audience, translate needs from one team to another, and influence stakeholders to achieve alignment. Thrives in cross-functional/matrixed environments.
- Passion for driving business results, with experience in designing highly effective (and efficient) multi-channel, integrated lead generation, as well as consumer acquisition and lifecycle marketing campaigns.
- Excellent project management skills. Able to organize and coordinate multiple stakeholders to deliver projects on time with high quality.
- Experience working with in-house and agency creative teams, with an ability to translate business marketing plans into clear and actionable creative requests.
- Analytical thinker with experience in data-driven marketing. Able to independently analyze data, as well as partner with Analysts and Data Scientists to uncover deeper insights. Experience running A/B & multivariate testing is highly preferred.
- Product/feature launch experience (strategy, channels, creative production, data, etc.) ideal.
- Undergraduate degree in Marketing, Business, or related quantitative field. MBA or graduate degree a plus.
Who we are.
Root Insurance is the nation’s first licensed insurance carrier powered entirely by mobile. We were founded on the belief that the services you need for everyday life should serve you better. That’s why we base insurance coverages on you, not your demographic. It’s the way insurance should be. And it’s all conveniently in an app.
What draws people to Root.
We’re a venture-backed technology company. Our early success is in large part due to our unwavering standards in hiring. We recognize that our product is only as good as the people building and promoting it. We look for individuals who find solutions by going through the cycle of ideation to implementation with curiosity, rigor, and a highly analytical lens. Ask anyone who works here and you’ll hear similar reasons for why they joined:
Autonomy. For assertive self-starters, the opportunities to contribute are limitless.
Impact. By challenging the way it’s always been done, we solve problems that have a big impact on our business.
Collaboration. We encourage rich discussion and civil debate at every turn.
People. We are inspired by the collection of crazy-smart people around us.