Director of Enterprise Resiliency Strategy
At Northern Trust, we've earned the reputation of a reliable partner that our clients can count on to operate daily in an effective manner, no matter the circumstances. As such, resiliency is at the core of our value proposition and key to long-term value creation not just for our clients, but also for our employees, shareholders and community.
In early 2022 we established our Enterprise Resiliency Office (ERO) with the goal of adopting a more strategic and systematic approach to defining, measuring and strengthening resiliency across enterprise. Our vision is to be a true 'all weather company' that has a distinctive ability to prevent internal stress, recover from external stress and thrive in any altered circumstances. We define 'resiliency' across 5 pillars: operational resiliency, technological resiliency, organizational resiliency, financial resiliency and business model resiliency.
As the Enterprise Resiliency Strategy Director, you will be part of the ERO leadership, working closely with the Chief Resiliency Strategy Officer and the Executive Management Team to deliver at-scale change in our cross-enterprise capabilities. In your role, you will help shape the broader vision, approach and strategy across the 5 pillars of enterprise resiliency, starting with the organizational resiliency, which goes to the heart of what makes Northern Trust distinctive - our partners (our term for employees, which carries deep meaning). Our partners earned us a reputation for going above and beyond for our clients and we have been making great strides in transforming and innovating our clients' experiences. We want to do the same for our partners.
In your role, you will define the vision and strategy, lead the delivery and steward end-to-end partner experiences and capabilities across enterprise. You will convene and mobilize partners from across the organization, including in HR, Business Units, Technology and other corporate functions, to achieve strategic vision and objectives for partner experience.
Last but not the least, given that we are a new team that lives Northern Trust's values of cherishing and nourishing our diverse and inclusive culture, we welcome you to help us further define and grow our community.
We expect you to bring to the table your problem solving skills, ability to work with and lead multiple stakeholders to a common vision and outcomes, as well as your passion for change.
Tasks & Responsibilities
- Own the end state vision ('North Star') and strategy for partner experience, including all the research that informs it (e.g., needs-based segmentation of partners; partner journeys and signature moments); ensure all the relevant projects across the company 'point North'
- Define and proactively manage over time the prioritized portfolio of 'missions' to achieve the 'North Star' partner experience, with a clear line of sight to impact ('missions' are an articulation of the scope, objectives, Objectives and Key Results and definition of 'done' for each partner experience change effort)
- Own the delivery of the 'missions' end-to-end (e.g., decide on the suitable strategy and approach to achieve each 'mission'; mobilize the cross-functional delivery teams to execute the 'missions'; shape the design and build of the solutions; assure impact)
- Proactively manage dependencies, 'reusable assets' (components of the solution that have been already built elsewhere), roadblocks and learning points (i.e., milestones defined to resolve any uncertainty that the team might be dealing with)
- Assume responsibility for the program's people and vendors, including leading and contribution to the performance evaluation of the working teams and Program Managers
- Develop and control deadlines, budgets and activities
- Apply change, risk and resource management
- Assess and report on program performance at various levels and support presentations on program results in various forums and committees (e.g., Management Group, Operational Risk Committee, Global Enterprise Risk Committee, Business Risk Committee of the Board)
- Work with relevant stakeholders across the company to develop a unified view of how we measure partner experience; establish, manage and coordinate as appropriate ongoing research and measurement activities to ensure they translate in actionable outcomes, change, investments and impact
- Define and lead the execution of the communications strategy for partner experience, including establishment of a dynamic feedback loop, idea crowd-sourcing from partners etc.
- Help shape the broader vision, approach and strategy in regards to NT's organizational resiliency beyond partner experience
- Strong problem solving skills (e.g., ability to structure ambiguous problems and mobilize diverse teams to solve them; ability to lead the team to define the root cause of issues)
- Strong analytical skills (e.g., financial analysis, budgeting, strategic planning)
- Deep understanding of project management and portfolio management techniques and methods (i.e., what good looks like), change management principles and how to build high-performing teams
- Experience in leading diverse, cross-functional teams to come up with the best solution, including coaching and building capabilities for high-quality execution
- Ability to move people to act (e.g., convening, structuring, owning the agenda and facilitating meetings and workshops to lead groups to agreement and commitment to execute)
- Ability to establish trust-based relationships with senior stakeholders across enterprise, lead them towards common objectives and managing upwards and downwards (e.g., experience with acting as a constructive conduit between business and non-business teams)
- Ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing with all audiences, including senior leaders, in a structured manner, including on high-sensitivity topics (e.g., organizational structure, funding)
- At-scale project management experience across a portfolio of initiatives (e.g., defining objectives and success metrics, developing execution plans, identifying and managing dependencies, anticipating and resolving roadblocks, ensuring that the project teams stay on track, proactively managing dependencies and making purposeful trade-offs)
- Ability to develop hypotheses and make quick decisions in a fail-fast supportive environment that fosters and encourages a continuous improvement mindset and execution
Nice to have:
- Experience in the financial services industry
- Management consulting experience
- Strategic planning experience
- BSc/BA diploma in management or finance; Master's degree is a big plus