This position is recognized within the Caterpillar IT community as an expert in Application Lifecycle Development. Key areas of accountability include defining core application development platforms and languages; fostering agile development methodologies; defining dev-ops pipeline strategies; researching emerging technologies and maintaining global technology roadmaps.
Responsibilities include one or more of the following:
Lead assessment and design for software development domains that provide core capabilities for the enterprise. Lead design and create roadmaps for end to end lifecycle functions Define global dev ops pipeline strategies Define automated testing strategies Lead selection of enterprise development platforms Consult on application refactoring for cloud enablement Develop application migration standards Initiate and deliver technology evaluation and recommendations. Develop and maintain current and planned state architecture blue prints..
Typical internal customers include employees within multiple business processes or functions including multiple Business Units and Divisions. In addition this person may have direct relationships with Global Product Owners (GPO), IT Managers, and Directors. External contacts include various companies who purchase services offered by Caterpillar and/or suppliers who provide hardware or software to Caterpillar.
The position is challenged to identify problems quickly and correctly, some which may not be obvious. The incumbent solves problems by determining the best course of action, within departmental guidelines, from many existing solutions. Communications for needed investments, architectural changes, or business needs is critical to ensure solutions can be created to meet strategic business capability needs.
- Position requires a four year degree from an accredited college or university or 10 years relevant experience in application development or architecture.
- 5 plus years of experience in application development.
- 3 plus years with dev-ops technologies
Top Candidates Will Also Have:
- Previous experience as an ALM architect
- Cloud PaaS experience on AWS and Azure.
- Automated release and testing orchestration in Jenkins or Azure DevOps/TFS
- Experience with infrastructure automation using containers or infrastructure as code
- Fluent in continuous delivery, continuous integration and A/B testing.
- Experience in automated testing tools and technologies
- 10+ years of Information Technology experience.
- Hands-on experience with Agile methodologies.
- Demonstrated strong communication skills articulating complex topics to non-technical audiences.
- Proven leadership, team working, inter-personal and influential skills beyond the span of control.
- Experience in managing business change, project management methods and tools.
- Proven business case development, business process mapping and strategic planning.
- Experience in enterprise solutions delivering availability, reliability and scalability.
- Experienced as a Technical Application Architect and has demonstrated experience in setting vision and roadmaps.
Typically this position will require an accredited, four-year Information Technology degree, a closely related technical degree, or equivalent experience. Progressively related experience of least 8-12 years and recognition as a domain expert is necessary. A certification in TOGAF or similar framework is highly desirable. Experience in multiple business processes or organizations and experience in multiple IT disciplines is also beneficial. Good technical, communication and influential skills are required. In addition, the incumbent should have a good knowledge of Caterpillar policies, standards and procedures, with broad understanding of Caterpillar’s organization.
Relocation assistance is not available for this position. Any relocation costs incurred would be the responsibility of the selected applicant
This employer is not currently hiring foreign national applicants that require or will require sponsorship tied to a specific employer, such as H, L, TN, F, J, E, O. As a global company, Caterpillar offers many job opportunities outside of the U.S. which can be found through our employment website at www.caterpillar.com/careers
This role will act as the lead enterprise architect for application development. Focusing on a broad range of technologies including both current and legacy development platforms. This role will be responsible to ensure development technologies, standards and platforms align with the growing needs of the business. Candidates will provide guidance across several deployment targets including embedded, cloud, mobile, legacy and purchased solutions. Candidates must be able to demonstrate an ability to lead in driving agile development strategies for delivering business value.