Reporting to the Practice Administrator, the Medical Receptionist is responsible for ensuring easy, efficient, and service-oriented check-in and check-out process at the practice. This individual will be responsible for patient registration, check-in and check-out as well as answering calls, creating patient encounters, scheduling appointments. He/she will ensure accurate data entry in necessary practice systems as well as filing insurance claims and patient account follow up. He/she will also be accountable for regular reporting requests that support practice operations and appropriate patient communication.
While this role will be dynamic in nature, key responsibilities and expectations of the position include:
- Greets all patients and visitors in a professional and welcoming manner.
- Obtains copies of insurance cards, driver’s license, authorizations, referrals and other required appointment documentation and appropriately saves them in practice EMR.
- Performs demographic and insurance validation, and informs patient of privacy policies and procedures.
- Adheres to practice and regulatory mandates around maintaining patient confidentiality.
- Effectively communicates unexpected schedule delays to patients and assists with patient comfort should delays arise.
- Appropriately prepares for day in accordance with practice schedules including reviewing Patient Eligibility and Phone report, preparing new patient paperwork and scanning into EMR upon patient presentation.
- In partnership with Patient Reception team, reviews and complies required Patient Notes and Appointment Notes along to ensure appropriate documentation.
- Receives practice deliveries and follows designated protocol for logging and notifying appropriate personnel.
- Collects patient co-payments, reconciliation charges and outstanding balances upon
- Keeps the reception and patient waiting areas clean and organized.
- Schedules patient appointments/follow-up appointments in accordance with established policies and procedures.
- Facilitates an exceptional patient experience with a high level of service, communication and support.
- Supports overall efficient practice operation including service and support of providers and demonstrating a “can-do” attitude with respect to solving problems and resolving patient and practice issues.
Background and Educational Requirements
- Must have High School Diploma or equivalent
- 3 – 5 years experience in primary care, family practice, internal medicine, urgent care or ER preferred
- Adept in medical terminology, the referral and authorization process, and insurance practices.
- Proficient in use of computer programs and applications including Outlook applications and practice EMR systems.
- Competent in basic arithmetic to make calculations, balance and reconcile figures, and make changes accurately.
- Knowledgeable of CPT and ICD-10 coding.
- Self-motivated: energetic, self-starter; can work autonomously.
- Results oriented: bias for action; demonstrated track record of achievement; drive for attainment of superior outcomes.
- Flexible: ably navigates within ambiguity; solution-oriented.
- Communication: conveys thoughts and expresses ideas effectively both verbally and in writing; strong presentation skills.
- Collaboration: orientation to team-based work product and results.
- Service: Actively supports others, demonstrates an optimistic, can-do approach to issue resolution.
- Humility: low ego; engenders trust; respectful.