Network Engineer at IMC Trading
LIFE AT IMC AS NETWORK ENGINEER
WHO WE ARE AND WHAT WE DO
IMC is a leading global market maker, using algorithmic trading and advanced technology to buy and sell securities on multiple trading venues worldwide. We provide liquidity to the financial markets, driving efficiencies for buyers and sellers.
Founded in 1989, we are an ambitious, innovative company and identified early on the importance technology would play in the fast-paced evolution of trading. This entrepreneurial spirit still drives us today and can be found in all of our offices around the world.
We now operate globally from offices in Europe, the US and Asia Pacific. Our employees work closely together in multidisciplinary teams, making our success possible.
Technology - At IMC, technology is not a department, it is at the heart of everything we do. Our technologists push the limits of possibility, and then look beyond. In our fast-paced environment, short feedback loops mean projects worked on in the morning can enter production the next day.
Trading – Although our traders come from many backgrounds they all have one thing in common: they are at their best solving complex problems. Their insight into global events, market shifts and pricing ensure we are trading in the right place, at the right time.
Business Support - Around the world, IMC’s business support teams are essential for sustaining our success. In our dynamic environment, we have many exciting challenges and multidisciplinary opportunities to shape our operations and make a real impact.
Our employees are our greatest asset so we give them lots of responsibility and the support they need to make a difference. Our flat structure fosters a culture of openness and collaboration, encouraging the sharing of ideas and knowledge. It makes no difference if you have been with us for three days or three years, the best idea wins.
While we work hard, we also have a lot of fun; whether solving complex challenges or in team building, leisure and sporting activities. IMC also enables its employees to contribute towards a better society through our foundation.
The Network Engineers in the Trading Infrastructure team at IMC are responsible for designing, implementing and supporting the WAN, LANs and all low-latency connectivity to trading venues. They work closely with our Systems Engineers, other teams and external parties to provide best in class infrastructure solutions supporting our trading business.
- Design, implement and support the North American networking infrastructure. Key areas include Low-latency networking, Unicast and Multicast routing, OSPF, BGP, PIM SM, as well as things like QoS, STP, NAT, protocol tuning, etc.
- Monitor, guard and analyze the proper functioning of our network infrastructure. Take adaptive, retentive and corrective measures and perform structural maintenance.
- Proactively improve our infrastructure by contributing scripts and code to our automation efforts (e.g. Bash, Python).
- Accurately create and maintain documentation detailing the implemented network components, as well as relevant procedures and other documentation.
- Responsibility for our IT security related platforms. Key areas include Palo Alto firewalls, Juniper MAG SSL gateways, VPNs, Security policies, etc.
- Work flexible hours. We are proud of the uptime of the trading environment, so every now and then you will be working outside of regular business hours to apply critical changes. This could be from your desk, your couch at home or also inside of one of our datacenters abroad.
- Liaise with external vendors, exchanges and providers to explore new technology solutions, implement new services or troubleshoot problems.
WHAT MAKES IT FUN?
- One of the most fun aspects of the job is that we have a very quick feedback loop. We release early and often to get incremental benefits as they are implemented.
- We operate at the bleeding edge of technology. If something new can potentially bring an advantage we will actively invest in developing and utilizing the solution as quick as we can.
- We really believe in sharing knowledge and technology between the different offices. Much of our technology stack is shared between all three regions, and we provide opportunities to travel between the regions both for personal growth and to assist where people can have the biggest impact.
- Working at IMC is also an opportunity to learn about financial markets and how exchanges work. We know from experience that a lot of people really enjoy learning about a field beyond their immediate area of expertise, it’s one of the things that makes this job more interesting than others.
- We employ a broad range of people with varying backgrounds. What they have in common is their superior technical expertise, their extraordinary smarts and their collaborative approach. We will not accept less.
WHO YOU ARE:
We are looking for a mid- to senior-level Network Engineer, who is passionate about all aspects of networking and gets a thrill out of designing, implementing and supporting high-performance networks.
You are a highly capable engineer with an appetite for accuracy, and are not afraid to go beyond the standard text-book concepts of networking. You thrive on working with your peers and cross-functional teams and are able to motivate and encourage your colleagues around you. Ability to clearly communicate - both verbally and written - technical concepts and challenges to both technical and non-technical stakeholders is a must.
OUR HIRING PROCESS
To set you up for success, you can find our hiring process including tips on applying and interviewing with us on our website. Now it’s up to you! Apply today to start an amazing journey with IMC.