Senior Applications Monitoring Engineer at Ensono
Backfill of one position, Senior Application Engineer - US. The team is managing in excess of 28,000 monitored targets (not including a significant number we will be taking on from the UK this year) which gives a ratio of 2,500 targets to be monitored per associate which is well above the sustainable target of 1,200 monitored targets per associate. The net result today is we continue to have issues covering on-call, project back-logs ranging from months to over a year in some cases and missed client delivery dates. The loss of the current engineer in this roll is extra painful in that he is our sole engineering managing our old reporting system as well as the new and old reporting database (the engineer came to us from a DBA roll).
A Senior Application Monitoring Engineer on the Global Platform Engineering for Monitoring team is responsible for supporting multiple applications and technologies to deliver exceptional levels of monitoring service to Ensono and our service provider clients with an emphasis on web and application monitoring. The Senior Application Monitoring Engineer is expected to be a subject matter expert in at least two of our key technologies, one of which needs to be in Application Monitoring, and take responsibility for duties including internal project leadership, upgrade and deployment planning, mentoring team members, training others on the use and functions of the technology and support sales and leadership as appropriate to retain or expand use of the technology as a billable service.
A Senior Application Monitoring Engineer on the Global Platform Engineering for Monitoring team is responsible for supporting multiple applications and technologies to deliver exceptional levels of monitoring service to Ensono and our service provider clients with an emphasis on web and application monitoring. Additionally, the Senior Application Monitoring Engineer is expected to be a subject matter expert in at least two of our key technologies and take on duties like upgrade and deployment planning, mentoring team members, training others on the use and functions of the technology and support sales and leadership as appropriate to retain or expand use of the technology as a billable service. The individual will provide product support and escalation support to the clients and teams supporting those clients. The individual will perform regular upgrades and maintenance of the applications in the environment and work within the teams to create or improve monitoring solutions. The individual is also responsible for communication to the end users, internal documentation and ticket management. The individual will be responsible to lead technical projects.
The technology to be supported will change with the business needs of the company. The current technology that is in scope for the team includes:
- Application Monitoring
- BMC TrueSight Application Visibility (AVP)
- Infrastructure Monitoring
- BMC Patrol
- BMC TrueSight Infrastructure Manager (TSIM)
- BMC TrueSight Smart Reporting / Yellowfin
- Entuity Network Analyzer for TrueSight
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Work load management between multiple clients and projects
- Fully functional and self-directed member of the team
- Work on and own responsibility for high complexity assignments
- Own, work on, lead others and or provide review and oversight on multiple low complexity assignments
- Assume role of SME (Subject Matter Expert) on one or more products and take on extra duties related to those products.
- Web / URL / Application Monitoring
- BMC Smart Reporting and MS SQL management
- See beyond simple requests and address under-lying business needs where possible
- Resolve issues, manage workload, and balance priorities through frequent interruptions while meeting specific, time sensitive deadlines.
- Analyze client team requests to solve short and long term technical issues and needs.
- Engineer solutions to meet company’s SLA's and client expectations.
- Monitor and lead tuning applications in the environment through project initiatives, enhancements and integration.
- Perform upgrades of the applications in the shared or client dedicated environments.
- Mentors others with less experience.
- Apply monthly upgrades and delegate tasks as appropriate.
- Work with team members to create and maintain documentation for all production environments and review regularly.
- Engage with team to plan and document design changes and review with client prior to installation.
- Ensure all deployments maintain all required privacy and security requirements for compliance.
This position does not have direct reports but does expect mentoring of less experienced associates in the role.
Specific hiring needs may vary by location, industry, client, internal department and other business-related factors. The qualifications section lists examples that may be used as guidance when populating required and preferred skills sections of recruiting requisitions / job postings.
- Minimum of 3 years of experience with BMC TrueSight
- Minimum of 5 years of related experience plus a Bachelor's degree or greater; or 8 years of equivalent work experience.
- Fluent English speaker with good phone and writing skills.
- Able to travel infrequently, typically no more than two trips per year.
- On-call support off-hours and over-time hours as required.
- Ability to work remotely with reliable high-speed internet and cell phone coverage.
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or related field.
- IT industry experience of 6 years or more in technical professional job role.
- Industry certifications for application/s being supported.
- Minimum of 2 years of specific experience supporting either BMC TrueSight Application Visibility or BMC TrueSight Smart Reporting
Any reference to years of experience should be disregarded in the UK