Sr Field Service Technician at Motorola Solutions
If you are a current Motorola Solutions employee, please click this link to apply through your Workday account.Company Overview
At Motorola Solutions, we create technologies our customers refer to as their lifeline. Our technology platforms in communications, software, video and services help our customers work safely and more efficiently. Whether it’s helping firefighters see through smoke, enabling police officers to see around street corners, or reliably keeping the lights on in homes and businesses around the world, our work supports those who put their lives on the line to keep us safe. Bring your passion, potential and talents to Motorola Solutions, and help us usher in a new era in public safety and security.
Department OverviewThe Software Enterprise Deployment and Integration team is the team that delivers solutions to the public safety sector. We are committed to providing technology and tools which will allow customers to focus on their mission, and enable them to respond faster with smarter and safer decisions. We deploy and support products such as Computer Aided Dispatch, Records Management Systems, Jail Management Systems and Mobile Data Computing, among other offerings.
VESTA NEXT Routing Services is a portfolio of products and services that deliver the critical elements to enable and operate a NextGen Core Services (NGCS) solution through the deployment of NGCS Data Centers at multiple locations. VESTA Router is responsible for receiving the incoming emergency calls, voice, SMS and multimedia, in a NENA i3 SIP format from the Data Center and routing them to the proper public safety answering point (PSAP). The role of the NextGen Core Services Manage & Operate Technologist is to resolve technical issues and escalations from the Network and Security Operation Center (NSOC) or directly from the system monitoring tools and third-party vendors in a queued environment while meeting Software Level Agreements (SLA). As a Manage and Operate Technologist you would also be responsible for conducting upgrades, patches and firmware updates across the hardware platform (routers, switches, firewalls, servers), testing backups and failovers. Each update and/or patch has a series of responsibilities including but not limited to internal testing, coordinating with customers and third-party vendors and having a backout plan, if issues arise. Similar responsibilities would be necessary when conducting hardware refreshes every 3 - 5 years. Actively participating in identifying Best Practices, conducting Lessons Learned, and updating system level documentation is also a requirement.
- End-to-End troubleshooting of 911 packet data between the Data Center and the PSAP via the ESI network
- Respond to alarms and escalations from NSOC and or directly from the monitoring tools
- Update and own tickets through closure
- Work with internal resources to conduct system audits and optimization
- Identify Best Practices and Lessons Learned
- Generate templates, FAQ or Knowledge Base articles for frequently reported issues/alarms
- Actively participate in 24x7x365 on call rotation
- Conduct or work with all parties to perform internal patches, updates, firmware, testing and hardware upgrades
- Document changes and present to Change Control Board for approval and execution
- Coordinate with all parties to conduct upgrades, patches, backups (Acronis and Redgate), failovers, hardware upgrades and execute test plans
- Collaboratively work with all parties to identify, coordinate and execute hardware refreshes
- Update central repository after performing any update and or hardware refresh
- Proactively monitor Data Centers
- Understand and adhere to all industry regulations
- Bachelor of Science degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Information Systems, software engineering (or related field) or equivalent
- Experience supporting complex end-to-end network solutions in a Mission Critical environment, including fault tolerance, high availability, and redundant implementations.
- Knowledge of communication protocols, client server architectures, computer networking technologies, and software integration.
- In depth knowledge of networking protocols, system calls, TCP/IP stack, and OSI model.
- Experience with Server Virtualization, specifically with VMWare ESXi v.6+
- Experience with Database Servers, specifically with Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2\2012\2017
- Knowledge of Linux, Windows Server 2008 R2\2012\2012 R2\2016, Red Hat, Active Directory, Network Policy, and Powershell.
- Ability to understand and articulate details associated with existing customer networks and create customer specific procedures to integrate.
- Strong problem solving skills, analytical abilities and ability to deliver on time.
- Ability to work independently and within a team environment, maintaining accountability to management.
- Own issues and exceptions and works them through to resolution.
- Produce transparent written and verbal communications.
- Excellent system administration skills
Legal authorization to work in the U.S. indefinitely is required. Employer work permit sponsorship is not available for this position.
- High school diploma or equivalent
- 5+ years of experience supporting complex end-to-end network solutions in a Mission Critical environment, including fault tolerant, high availability, and redundant implementations.
- Experience with Firewalls, Load Balancers, DNS, Switches, and Routers
Travel RequirementsOver 50%
Referral Payment PlanYes
Motorola Solutions is an Equal Opportunity Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran's status, or, any other protected characteristic.