Sr Manager, Merchant
Grainger is a global leading broad line supplier of facilities maintenance products serving businesses and institutions. Our 18,000 employees are driven to serve customers and the community in exceptional ways focusing on delivering the highest level of service. The Grainger team works closely with customers to better understand their challenges and provide cost-saving solutions. Grainger's employees serve customers more than 115,000 times every day through multiple channels. As part of a high-performing team, you’ll be able to develop your talents, and make a difference. Grainger is a Fortune 500company and a perennial member of Fortune magazine's Most Admired Companies list.
Working directly under the Director of Merchandising, the Sr. Manager - Merchant is responsible for the overall portfolio strategy for assigned Grainger product categories ranging from $100M to $600M annual revenue. The Merchant will be responsible for selecting the product assortment and suppliers and presenting those products effectively to customers in digital and print publications to drive revenue, gross profit dollars, customer acquisition, and overall financial performance. The Merchant is considered the “business owner” of the assigned product categories.
The Merchant will partner with a Channel Merchandiser, Publishing, Product Information, and Operations to create industry leading publications for their categories. The Merchant will also partner with Supplier Management to ensure the assortment for their categories is procured from the highest quality sources as the best cost.
Principal Duties & Responsibilities:
- Develop assortment strategies, organization and naming strategies, and product information strategies for all assigned product categories ($100M to $600M annual revenue). Ensure those strategies align with Grainger overall company strategy and drive revenue, gross profit dollars, and customer acquisition.
- Research marketplace trends involving products, customers, suppliers, and competitors to identify new product, sourcing, and product content ideas to ensure our assortment and customer experience are the best in class.
- Select suppliers for new products and negotiate initial pricing and service agreements.
- Communicate category plans to assigned channel merchandiser and partner with Publishing and Product Information to ensure assigned category strategies are implemented and the result is an effortless customer experience with complete and accurate product information.
- Potential to manage a channel merchandiser to implement merchandising plans.
- Partner with Supplier Management to ensure the highest quality product assortment at the best cost for assigned categories.
- Partner with marketing to ensure assigned category assortment pricing remains competitive and our product specific marketing initiatives drive profitable growth.
Preferred Education & Experience:
- BS/BA degree in engineering, technology, marketing, or business preferred. MBA preferred
- 5+ years’ experience in industrial product management, merchandising, marketing, new product development, or technical sales
- Demonstrated successful project management skills
- Excellent organizational skills and obsessive attention to detail
- Excellent communication skills—written, interpersonal and small group presentation. Must be able to translate data into clear insights and recommendations.
- Familiarity with manufacturing processes and MRO customers
- Continuous improvement and process orientation
- Proven negotiation skills
- Ability to develop strategic relationships both internal and external to the company
- Ability to align and partner across the business to drive exceptional results financially and strategically
- Ability to produce and present MRO industry statistical and financial analysis
- Able to establish effective relationships with all levels of direct staff and with peers and management
- Comfortable building and delivering presentations to management, staff and field audiences
This position can be based in Lake Forest or Downtown.
Grainger is an Equal Opportunity Workplace and an Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status