Sr. System Technologist at Motorola Solutions
Motorola Solutions is there for our customers when everything is on the line. In extreme moments — when a hurricane lands or when a fire breaks out. And in everyday moments — when a package arrives just in time for the holiday or when a child doesn’t miss the school bus home.
We unify voice, data, video and analytics in one integrated ecosystem to enable individuals, businesses and communities to work together in more powerful ways. To help people make better decisions, act confidently and be their best in the moments that matter. Bring your passion, potential and talents to Motorola Solutions and connect with a career that matters.
Department OverviewMotorola Solutions is a world leader in the field of professional mobile communications systems with an impressive heritage of technological innovations and a global base of installed systems. The group's main business is the implementation of mission critical digital mobile communication systems for Government & Public Safety Communications customers
Responsibilities include optimization and support of complex communication systems. Provide technical support of specialized systems and product applications including advanced troubleshooting of software-driven electronics, provisioning of communication system infrastructure, and performance optimization of RF and broadband architecture including, but not limited to, legacy analog, advanced digital P25, video, and data infrastructure. Program, configure, optimize, test, and document complex communications systems. Provide weekly reports of activities and accomplishments. Must have very strong knowledge of wired communications systems, such as local area networks (LAN) and wide-area networks (WAN), must be proficient in computer network installation, configuration, and maintenance systems to include cabling, routers, switches, firewalls, and bridges. Must be capable of installation of server hardware/OS and software infrastructure and troubleshooting to resolve system/application-related issues.
General skills required:
- Strong knowledge of R.F. systems, such as transmitters, receivers, and antenna networks
- Strong knowledge in standard telephony and dedicated data circuits, as well as knowledge of IP networks and packet switching techniques
- Highly computer literate with proficiency in MS Word, Excel, Outlook, and Access
- Self-management skills and "people" skills to work closely with Motorola’s customers and subcontractor (MSS) community, as well as Motorola Sales, Engineering, Project Management, and customer service teams
- Self-motivated and self-managed to perform the required duties at a distance from direct supervision
- Able to solve customer problems quickly during stressful situations
- Perform preventative maintenance routines to ensure proper system operation with a focus on trend analysis and documentation of results
- Develop solutions to difficult technical problems encountered as part of system implementation, upgrades, or support issues
- Total familiarity with the latest technologies and troubleshooting techniques
- Team with engineering, project management, and sales personnel to effectively design, implement, optimize and cutover advanced communication systems that meet or exceed customer expectations
- Perform complex system implementation tasks as a subject matter expert. Strives for optimal system performance.
- Is able to act as Lead System Technologist on large projects or system upgrades.
- Possesses Leadership skills to direct, mentor, and supervise Motorola and shop personnel.
- Acts as customer advisor/SME.
- Able to advise the customer on technical issues and possible future system growth, migration, or enhancement.
- Coaches/instructs other System Technologists, Engineers, and maintenance personnel in methods and procedures of system configuration, optimization, testing, and documentation requirements.
- Provide guidance in integrating new tools and test equipment into the project implementation process.
- Able to develop and present technical training.
- Has excellent communications skills and always presents a professional image.
Additional Preferred Skills:
- Unique combination of both strong multi-site RF communications system and computer/networking skills are required.
- Must be capable of installation of server hardware/OS and software, and troubleshooting to resolve system/application related issues.
- Understands requirements of system optimization, verification, and documentation of current Motorola communications systems.
- Individual must have a superior knowledge of one or more of the following; Motorola Astro25 trunking, digital and analog conventional, MCC console systems, secure operations
- Can perform all integration, troubleshooting and system management tasks at an Astro25 Master site.
- Can perform all project related remote site tasks such as antenna systems analysis, R56 audits, link verification, RF equipment optimization, combiner tuning, RX multicoupler/TTA optimization, documentation, etc.
- The ideal candidate must demonstrate high level systems expertise with the following equipment:
- Astro 25 Master site infrastructure
- Motorola base stations (STR series, GTR series, Quantar, etc.)
- Motorola consoles (Gold Elite, MCC7500, MCC7100)
- Channel banks and T1 circuits
- IP networks and configuration
- The Candidate must have excellent skills in the use of various communications test equipment including:
- Communication System Analyzers
- Ethernet Link test sets
- T1 Test Sets
- TIMS (Transmission Impairment Measurement Set)
- Digital RF Power Meter
- FDR (Frequency Domain Reflectometer)
- Ideally the individual should have at least one network certification:
- CompTIA Network +
- CompTIA Security +
- Related certification
- Must possess CET Master, Associate or appropriate certifications for the role.
- Must be a U.S. citizen with the ability to obtain necessary security clearance as required by government contract
- Must have a current, valid driver’s license and no traffic violations
- 50 – 75% travel is typically required
- Working overtime, weekends, holidays, and varying schedules may sometimes be required.
- Must live in the Dallas Fort Worth metro area
- 2-year associate's in electronics/IT, technical school certification, or military training preferred
- 10+ years of field experience as a system technician.
Motorola Solutions has implemented a voluntary COVID-19 vaccination policy. We strongly encourage all employees to be fully vaccinated. Any employee who is not vaccinated must wear a mask at all times when at a Motorola Solutions site or otherwise meeting with other Motorola Solutions employees or customers. Employees who have submitted proof of vaccination must follow site-specific or local mask requirements. Additionally, certain local governments or Motorola Solutions' customers may have vaccine requirements that apply to some of our employees.
Referral Payment PlanYes
Our U.S. Benefits include:
- Incentive Bonus Plans
- Medical, Dental, Vision benefits effective Day 1
- 401K with Company Match and Day 1 vesting
- 9 Paid Holidays
- Generous Paid Time Off Packages
- Employee Stock Purchase Plan
- Paid Parental & Family Leave
- and more!
Motorola Solutions is an Equal Opportunity Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran's status, or, any other protected characteristic.