Staff Network Engineer - Federal at ServiceNow
Position: Staff Network Engineer - Federal Cloud Networking Services
Location: Remote or Kirkland, WA; San Diego or Santa Clara, CA
What you get to do in this role:
As a Staff Network Engineer on the Cloud Networking team, you will be responsible for building, managing and operating the global network infrastructure that is the foundation of all our services. Maintaining network stability ensures that our customers stay connected with our suite of applications, products and services.
Key to success for this role will be your understanding of the network and using your knowledge and skills in delivering against our goals. The role itself is a combination of deployments, sustainment engineering, and operational (troubleshooting, problem analysis, etc.) tasks and allows for the engineer to be involved in a broad range of network functions. Excellent cross-team collaboration, technical skills, and clear communications are required.
This being a US FedRamp role, the following requirements must be met;
- This position requires the Public Trust Position (PTP) Tier 2 Level suitability adjudication. If offered employment, you must be willing to complete and successfully pass the adjudication process. Any employment is contingent upon obtaining the required adjudication.
- The candidate should have experience with implementing DISA Security Technical Implementation Guides (STIGs).
Primary roles and responsibilities are as follows:
- Design and deploy networks based on business and technical requirements.
- Partner with project and program managers to meet overall timelines and resolution of issues.
- Operate and troubleshoot networks to identify and resolve issues quickly.
- Take a lead role in the engagement and mitigation of outage causing events or issues.
- Validate problem descriptions and perform detailed problem diagnosis; track and update problems in trouble-ticketing system.
- Perform non-critical investigations into functionality that is not working as desired.
- Engage deeply in the sustainment function to proactively analyze network parameters such as capacity and availability to ensure issues are fixed before they cause an outage.
- Review, consult and prepare for planned change introduction to production environment.
- Participate in rotating “on call” schedule with other members of the team including weekends.
- Partner with teams to plan and execute software code upgrades and device maintenance.
- Partner with the Site Reliability Engineering (SRE) team to provide mentorship and input on operational process improvements.
- Provide feedback to infrastructure architects on design issues or improvements and input into the design process for new initiatives.
Sample first 6-month deliverables
- Quickly integrate into the environment and gain a solid understanding of network architecture, organization, and process/procedures.
- Deploy capacity into a datacenter based on demand.
- Participate in incident bridges and serve as the networking engineering resource to troubleshoot and mitigate outages.
- Take ownership of a minimum of two datacenters perform all sustainment engineering functions.
- Partner with the SRE team to identify and solve one network process issue.
In order to be successful in this role, we need someone who has:
The candidate should have a solid foundation in networking including routing, switching, security and load balancing. The following is a list of requirements for this role:
- 2+ years of experience with cloud computing technologies (e.g. Azure, AWS, Google Cloud Platform, etc.) across Windows and/or Linux
- Azure Core Platform: Compute, Storage, Networking.
- Azure Web Apps: developing, deploying, debugging and supporting web applications using .NET, Java, PHP, Python, Node.js etc. on Windows or Linux.
- Continuous Integration/Continuous Deployment (CI/CD): using DevOps, Bit Bucket, GitHub.
- Experience in one or more automation languages (PowerShell, shell scripts, Perl, Python, Ansible, Terraform) desired.
- A minimum of 5 years of experience in working on Internet and data center networks.
- Possess a solid understanding of and have experience with most of the following network technologies: BGP, OSPF, IS-IS, HSRP/VRRP, IPSEC, SNMP.
- Deep, hands-on experience with TCP/IP protocols including capturing and analyzing traffic with Wireshark and/or other tools.
- Familiarity with Cisco IOS and JunOS operating systems required.
- F5 and Cisco ASA knowledge and experience strongly desired.
- Experience with network monitoring applications such as EMC Watch4Net, Cacti, Splunk is a plus.
- Ability to partner with peers who are globally distributed is a key part of this role.
- Passion for customer experiences and focus on delivering high quality support.
- Strong communication skills and empathy for customers.
- Ability to learn new technology in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to deal with ambiguity.
We are a dynamic and rapidly growing software company with a strong sense of dedication to our customers. We work with some of the most innovative and advanced technologies in the business. The Cloud Platform Development team is a very collaborative and inclusive team where individuals strong on aptitude and attitude will have an opportunity to grow their professional careers. We provide competitive compensation, generous benefits and a professional, open yet relaxed work atmosphere.
ServiceNow As a Company
At this point you already know that ServiceNow is changing the way people work. Due to the success of our products we are experiencing growth in virtually all areas of our organization.
To sustain our growth, we are looking for drivers - people who thrive on responsibility and live for the next big challenge. We seek to employ the brightest and most forward-thinking talent on the planet, and we want to hire people who have their best work ahead of them, not behind them. Accelerate your career and succeed in an environment where you can make an impact daily. We invite you to join in and stand out.
We are a dynamic and rapidly growing software company with a strong sense of dedication to our customers. We work hard but try not to take ourselves too seriously. This is a very collaborative and inclusive work environment where individuals strong in aptitude and attitude will have an opportunity to grow their professional careers through working with some of the most advanced technology and talented developers in the business. We provide competitive compensation, generous benefits and a professional, yet relaxed atmosphere.
ServiceNow is an equal opportunity employer, committed to building a diverse and inclusive company where employees feel that they belong. This means that individuals seeking employment at ServiceNow are considered without regard to race, color, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, pregnancy, national original, age, disability, or any other characteristic protected by law. If you are an individual with a disability which is likely to affect you during any part of the application process, you may contact us at [[email protected]] so that we can consider whether we can make any adjustments to the process
ServiceNow is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, gender identity, or veteran status. If you are an individual with a disability and require a reasonable accommodation to complete any part of the application process, or are limited in the ability or unable to access or use this online application process and need an alternative method for applying, you may contact us at (408) 501-8550, or [email protected] for assistance.