Design System Product Manager
Morningstar is building software that users love. We are passionate about helping our customers improve their lives through better saving and investing. We reach millions of investors around the world directly through our consumer products or indirectly through our professional products and services. We strive to create software that is easy to use, beautiful, intuitive, and the best in our industry.
We are looking for a Design System Product Manager to join our Morningstar Design System team. The Product Manager will lead the direction of the design system with input from the design system team, steering committee, and product leadership to serve the needs of Morningstar’s product development teams. As such, the Product Manager will oversee the development of Morningstar’s visual language, UI components, UX Patterns, editorial guidance, technical tooling, and the strategic direction of the design system.
The Product Manager will design, develop, and manage activities for the design system from conceptualization, definition, and planning through implementation, release, enhancement and eventual sun-setting – the product lifecycle. The Product Manager will act as both product experts and strategists to translate customer needs, competitive intelligence, and Morningstar intellectual property into innovative deliverables that solve customer problems, and evangelize those innovations internally and externally. This position is based in our Chicago office.
The Ideal Candidate:
The ideal candidate will take a systems-mindset to build and integrate consistent, efficient components supporting Morningstar’s entire product portfolio. Emphasis will be on the complete systems life-cycle, from establishing an enduring practice and vision to design, build, document, and maintain a library used by many product teams. We seek an energetic leader that can drive change across the company and respond quickly to feedback from senior level staff and product teams.
In this role, you will:
- Lead the direction of the design system, including visual style, UI components, UX patterns, editorial guidance and technical tooling, with input from the design system steering committee, design system team members, and product leadership to serve the needs of Morningstar’s product development teams.
- Own prioritization, decisively setting priority and resolving conflicts for the team.
- Evangelize and coordinate design system adoption across the firm.
- Report team and system progress regularly to primary director leads and executive level sponsors. Coordinate release planning activities on a regular cadence within an Agile framework.
- Manage the backlog and roadmap of library features.
- Facilitate regular team scrum and sprint planning sessions.
- Identify, prioritize, and monitor task progress of design, development, and documentation across team members.
- 10+ years' experience in one or more of: product management of web-based sites and/or applications, information architecture, interaction design, front end development, or business analysis.
- 5+ years directing the work of design and/or front-end development team(s).
- 5+ years working in an Agile development framework.