Director of Product Management, Morningstar Managed Portfolios
The Group: The Investment Management group is a global team guided by Morningstar’s investment principles focused on delivering great long-term investment results to help end-investors reach their financial goals. Morningstar® Managed PortfoliosSM, our complete wealth management platform serving financial advisors, offers a broad lineup of strategies built with stocks, mutual funds, and ETFs to help meet an investor’s needs at each stage of their lifetime.
The Role: This role, reporting to the Global Head of Product and located in our Chicago office, leads digital-based product development for our Morningstar Managed Portfolios (MMP) platform. As director of product development, you will lead the development of new platform functionality/features, and work with a cross-functional team of designers, software engineers, quality assurance analysts and business stakeholders to execute the strategy. The ideal candidate will understand the market demand and requirements, the competitive landscape and revenue impact/opportunities, serve as a subject matter expert on our Managed Portfolios platform both internally and externally, and will continuously find ways to enhance the digital experience by working cross-functionally with the various stakeholders and support teams.
You will lead a global team of Product Managers who design, develop, and manage activities for our next-generation turn-key asset management platform (TAMP) and client portals from conceptualization, definition, and planning through implementation, release, enhancement and eventual sun-setting – the product lifecycle. You and your team of product managers act as product experts to translate market trends, customer needs, competitive intelligence, and Morningstar intellectual property into innovative deliverables that solve customer problems, and evangelize those innovations internally and externally.
- Own the development, lifecycle management including roadmaps, enhancements, extension and rationalization of our Managed Portfolios technology platform
- Manage a global team of product managers and project managers
- Lead product development and cross-functional launch efforts by following our product launch playbook for squads dedicated to architecting and implementing our next-generation Managed Portfolio platform.
- Champion Managed Portfolios platform integration with 3rd parties including brokerage custodians, trading and accounting systems, and other Morningstar products and capabilities, working closely with development teams across the Products and Data teams.
- Lead by example - develop high quality business requirements refined and validated with customers and stakeholders, prioritize the backlog queue across multiple projects and workstreams, and work within an Agile software development framework.
- Understand both business and technology requirements, serving as a conduit between stakeholders, sales, service, marketing, compliance, design, operations and technology teams.
- Breakdown and analyze complex workflows and systems, identify inefficiencies/areas for improvement, and define solutions to improve the client experience.
- Track Key Performance Indicators and measurements of product success as it relates to deploying platform improvements.
- Proactively identify product innovation and existing product positioning opportunities based on industry trends, current market environment and competitive advantages to meet customer needs.
- Perform analysis on key performance indicators (KPIs) and measurements of product success (product revenue, product profitability, customer satisfaction, quality, cost implications, forecasts, etc.) to inform product design.
- Minimum 7-10 years technology-based product development/management experience with deep understanding of all aspects of product development, positioning and implementation within the financial services industry which is highly regulated.
- A passion for building software. Ability to motivate and grow a collaborative, cross-functional team with a track record for quality and on-time deliveries. Must be willing to occasionally connect with global colleagues at off-hours.
- Experience with financial advisor tools, managed account platforms, asset management operations, proposal generation, account opening, portfolio accounting, performance reporting and trading a plus.
- Knowledge and experience with agile development as well as waterfall techniques, and good technical acumen required.
- Highly effective communicator with excellent writing, presentation and interpersonal skills. Ability to distill complex topics to relevant audiences desired.
- Knowledge of advisor channels, primarily independent RIAs and Broker/Dealers; experience working with the financial advisor community a plus.
- Strong interpersonal and relationship building skills, with a proven ability to collaborate with and lead diverse, multi-functional teams.
- Bachelor’s degree in finance, economics, computer science or related field is required; a graduate degree is a plus.
- Full-time position based in Chicago, IL; minimal travel including international locations is possible.
- Experience with Morningstar software products, services and data preferred.
Please include a cover letter with your resume and application.