Your phone comes alive with a notification from our user forum, hosted in a secret Facebook group. One of our customers just commented on your post teasing a new feature the team has been working on. It is definitely not what you were expecting, BUT, armed with this new insight it births an idea. You need to validate it first with some data though. Too bad the dev team is behind on the latest sprint; no time to interrupt, especially if this ends up being a fishing expedition.
It's been awhile since you wrote any SQL, but the muscle memory kicks in (along with some refreshers from Stack Overflow) and you fetch the app data you were looking for from BigQuery. You don’t go right to the source often, but damn, when you do, it’s a rush.
Your nagging question has been answered...sorta. Armed with this insight, you call up your Android dev and pitch her on the feature concept. But to move forward, you need some data we don’t currently collect. Your excitement is contagious, and the infection spreads. With a few keyboard strokes, she adds new instrumentation to the app and your dashboard comes alive, streaming new insights, previously hidden. With a little customer inspiration, and new data in hand, a new feature idea is born. You can’t wait to show-and-tell at the next all-hands meeting and share what you’ve uncovered, of course with some major kudos to your eng partner.
If you’ve gotten this far, you are nodding your head and also probably:
- View product as equal parts art and science. The creative juices you get to flex through technical challenges you find therapeutic.
- Are okay with sucking at things - you gotta learn it somehow and in the beginning you might suck.
- Have some war stories about really screwing up a feature. It created some scars and calluses you won’t soon forget.
- Know that data can tell a good portion of the story and provide the foundation, but engaging with humans and qualitative insights paints the full picture.
- Ask the right questions and, when posed with a problem, you peel away the layers to reveal the core issue and don’t address just the symptoms. You lean on your instincts and good judgment.
What we’re looking for
You inspire and challenge engineers, customer support, markers, and whoever will listen!
Your job is part technologist, part therapist, part community manager, and part tinkerer (and 10 other things we didn’t list). You put the customer first and find creative ways to engage with them. You aren’t interested in maintaining things, but scaling and building. Seeing your team’s work being used by hundreds of thousands of people on a daily basis makes you tick. Your team pushes code and bam, people are instantly using it. Sometimes it sucks. Many times it’s awesome. All the time it’s motivating and thrilling.
The Opportunity and Impact
We are Jiobit; a hardware-enabled software company that helps families of all shapes and sizes move forward with ease. We make a suite of award-winning location monitoring devices and apps.
You are a doer; a scrappy, crafty, trouble-shooter. You are a data-hungry, pattern-finding, action-taking learner. This is someone who thrives in a fast-paced environment, and who wants to both enable those around them to create successes and grow but is also excited to make an impact with their own hands.
We are looking for someone to join us as a Product Lead. They will own all Product Management responsibilities across our software experiences, spanning mobile and web. You will report to the Head of Growth, and work alongside your eng and UI/UX team members. At the end of the day, this person will play a key role in helping scale Jiobit’s business through product led growth - helping to build customer-loving products. This role will ultimately be responsible for product delivery and the roadmap.
In particular, the ideal candidate will be:
- Data Hungry - You are highly analytical and you love data. Others will tell us you’re highly capable of immersing yourself in data and delivering actionable recommendations.
- Curious - doesn't need expertise in every aspect of our tech stack, but wants to learn more and finds it exciting. You don’t wait for permission to kick down the door and relentlessly hunt down problems to solve.
- Innovation engine - brings new, challenging ideas to the team and inspires not just the product team, but the entire company.
- Systems thinking - understands (or aptitude do understand) the end to end consumer experience and how it flows through our tech stack.
- Battle scars - has gone through startup life (or equivalent), knows the challenges and opportunities.
Jiobit is the first of its kind patented location sharing platform, enabling the longest lasting and smallest real-time location products (indoor or out) with best-in-class security.
Featuring a host of encryption and security technologies, Jiobit is trusted by thousands of pet owners and families, as well as enterprise customers, with usage in every populated continent in the world.
Our mission is to provide the right information at the right time to the right people.
We believe that caregivers should have a single source of helpful information to guide growth and reduce stress. We envision a world where families move forward with ease using a single source of helpful information. Everything we do and everyone who works here is centered around this mission.
Basically, this is the moment you opt-out if you’re not into it.
We provide competitive compensation, generous stock options, ample benefits, and clear and concise pathways to personal and professional growth within the organization
Jiobit has won an Editor's Choice Award with PCMag and has been featured on CNBC, Buzzfeed, Techcrunch, and USA Today to name a few. Jiobit has offices in Chicago and Silicon Valley. With a strategic investment from Netgear, Inc., along with Chicago-based Venture Capital firm, MATH Venture Partners, we are positioning the business for rapid growth.
What you’ll get
- Unlimited time off to juggle work/life balance, including 3 week minimum time off
- Flexible work hours and location (optional work from our downtown Chicago office, expected work from home through most, if not all, of 2021)
- Medical, dental, vision insurance (including 50% contribution for dependents)
- Paid holidays
- Short-term / Long-term Disability offered
- Competitive Stock Option & Equity Packages
- Cash compensation between $90,000 and $125,000 (location and experience dependent) for new team members, with performance and milestone driven adjustments
More about you
- Experience building mobile products on native development platforms (iOS/Android)
- General knowledge of front end / back end capabilities and how products interact between client and cloud infrastructure
- Conceptual understanding of security, privacy, and encryption best practices
- Hands on experience with the customer discovery process and qualitative research
- Significant contribution and/or ownership of a product roadmap, including market assessments and other business viability requirements and/or go-to-market considerations
- Experience using a proven product management methodology (Jobs framework, etc.)
- Demonstrated expertise using analytical / instrumentation tools to guide product usage insights
- Expert understanding of Agile development practices and the software development lifecycle
- Effective written communication and collaboration across teams - including work planning and story writing using software development tools like Jira
- Strong verbal communications, demonstrated through medium-sized audience presentations
- Preferably have had exposure to product development with physical product components and understand firmware-based feature development (use of sensors and/or radios)
- Authorized to work in the US (Citizen or Permanent Resident), no H1-B sponsorships.
Our Tech Stack (for your reference)
- Cloud - AWS, Google Cloud Platform
- Data Stores - Fully Encrypted NoSQL Datastores (GCP Datastore, AWS DynamoDB)
- Mobile Applications - Android (Kotlin) and iOS (Swift/Objective-C)
- Web Apps - React, PHP, JS/jQuery, Node.js, HTML
- Tools & APIs - Github, Jenkins, Jira, Firebase, Google Analytics, Amplitude, ZenDesk, Google Geolocation, BigQuery, Tableau
- Embedded C (device level firmware)