Senior Product Owner - Cloud Technologies at Discover
Discover. A brighter future.
With Discover, you’ll have the chance to make a difference at one of the world’s leading digital banking and payments companies. From Day 1, you’ll do meaningful work you’re passionate about, with the support and resources you need for success. We value what makes each employee unique and provide a collaborative, team-based culture that gives everyone an opportunity to shine. Be the reason millions of people find a brighter financial future, while building the future you want, here at Discover.Job Description
Key member of the business, who is the conduit to technology thru the agile team. Responsible for writing user stories that align to the product features. Ensures the pipeline (backlog) stays full and is prioritized. Internally focused on the Agile team and implementation. Senior Product Owner plays a significant role in quality and is the only team member empowered to accept user stories as done. Supports one or more one Agile team. This role has significant relationships outside the local team, including working with the Product Manager to prepare features and user stories for continuous planning cycles. Mentors other product owners and provide direction on more complex features.
We are seeking a strong technical product owner and team lead for a group of high-functional engineers/architects that are implementing our next generation of data engineering tools and systems. The products you own are enabling our company’s data engineers to perform cloud native work easily and efficiently. You will work across many different cloud services and technologies primarily on AWS and soon other cloud platforms. You will work with your team of engineers, end users of your products, and management to determine and prioritize new features to your products. You will own the roadmaps and drive your team’s implementations of product features.
This role is both a leadership and technical position where you will lead and influence technical designs, coordinate collaborations with 3rd party vendors, and have the ability to perform engineering work yourself if you choose. Your team will work in technologies such as Spark(python/scala), Kinesis, Kafka, EMR, MPP Databases (Snowflake & Redshift), NoSQL DBs, and other various AWS services (Lambda, Glue, Step Functions etc)
Some of the team’s efforts include providing frameworks for Real-time data pipelines for analytical use, API Data Ingestion tooling, Graph Database data frameworks, and batch on-prem to cloud data movements(AWS and multi-cloud architectures).
The Data and Analytics organization is delivering a next-gen analytic ecosystem through new tools, frameworks and data enablement products on the cloud. The Cloud Data Enablement team plays a critical role in creating these tools via in-house development, evaluating open-source frameworks, and third-party solutions. As such, you will need to be able to demonstrate the technical aptitude to learn new technologies as you will be working in a rapidly evolving landscape delivering transformative products.
Career Site Job Description
What You’ll Do
· Focus on the Agile team and implementation and serve as the team’s technology conduit to other business partners.
· Write user stories that align to the product features, ensuring that the story pipeline (backlog) stays full and is prioritized. As the only team member authorized to accept stories as done, help ensure quality of story content.
· Support one or more Agile teams — forging significant relationships outside the local team, including working with the product manager to prepare features and user stories for continual planning cycles.
· Mentor other product owners and provide direction on more complex features.
How You’ll Do It
· Work with a dedicated Agile development team to deliver complex customer/business value through product features.
· Provide periodic status updates to business stakeholders and upper management. Serves as point of contact for the Agile team with the business and SMEs.
· Empowered to make all critical decisions regarding functionality and priority in the sprint.
· Manage and prioritize sprint backlogs continually with team input (prior to and during the backlog grooming sessions).
· Collaborate with other product owners and/or product manager to uphold business priority and vision.
· Develop complex user stories from prioritized features in collaboration with product manager.
· Champion efforts to attain product vision and objectives. Writes acceptance criteria for user stories. Ensure that user stories all meet Definition of Ready (DoR) and are updated in the Agile Management Tool.
· Works with a dedicated agile development team to deliver complex customer/business value through product features. Is the conduit to other business partners for this team.
· Develops complex user stories from prioritized features in collaboration with Product Manager. Champions efforts to attain product vision and objectives. Writes acceptance criteria for user stories. Ensures that user stories all meet Definition of Ready (DoR) and are updated in the Agile Management Tool.
· Collaborates with other Product Owners and/or Product Manager to uphold business priority and vision.
· Manages and prioritizes the sprint backlogs continuously with team input (prior to and during the backlog grooming sessions).
· Provides periodic status updates to business stakeholders and upper management. Is the point of contact for the Agile team with the business and SMEs.
· Empowered to make all critical decisions regarding functionality and priority in the Sprint. Signs off to "accept" each user story during sprint.
Qualifications You’ll Need
· Bachelor's degree in business, information technology, engineering, finance or related field
· 4+ years of experience as Product Owner, Business Analyst, customer service and relationships, IT, or related field
· In lieu of a degree, 6+ years of experience as Product Owner, Business Analyst, customer service and relationships, IT, or related field
Bonus Points If You Have
· At least 2 years’ experience leading engineering teams
· BS in Computer Science / related field or equivalent experience (MS preferred)
· Hands on experience with AWS services such as Glue, EMR, Lambda, Step Functions, CloudTrail, CloudWatch, DynamoDB, SNS, SQS, S3, VPC, EC2, RDS, IAM
· Snowflake MPP database experience a plus
· Graph database experience a plus
· Hands-on experience integrating open-source components into data-analytic solutions
· Working with vendors to enhance tool capabilities to meet enterprise needs
· Knowledge of application development lifecycles, & continuous integration/deployment practices
· Proficient in at least one programming language (Python, Java, Scala)
· Experience in version control systems such as Git.
· Experience in ETL / Data application development
· Experience working with Spark and real-time analytic frameworks
What are you waiting for? Apply today!
The same way we treat our employees is how we treat all applicants – with respect. Discover Financial Services is an equal opportunity employer (EEO is the law). We thrive on diversity & inclusion. You will be treated fairly throughout our recruiting process and without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status in consideration for a career at Discover.