We're building a world class team with the aim of providing polished, professional, technical support of an emerging company and product. Ocient is looking for ultimate team players who are dedicated to improving our product and customer experience with every interaction. The Ocient team consists of highly technical engineers and understanding the end to end development, sales, and delivery cycle is key to adding unique value to the organization. Our ideal Product Manager passionately understands customers’ problems with massive-scale data analytics environments. They are driven to build enjoyable products, solve complex problems, and push the bounds of what is possible with performance and scale. Ocient Product Managers are self-motivated, enthusiastic leaders. They work directly with customers and with every part of the internal Ocient organization.
You’ll Enjoy this Role if You
- Are interested in pushing the bounds of what’s possible in large-scale data analytics
- Like to get hands-on with enterprise data products
- Thrive in fast-paced, dynamic environments
- Like to lead teams, projects, and visions
- Love the challenge of making complex concepts seem simple
- Are a self-starter who can work projects from start to finish
What You’ll be Doing
- Working with Ocient teams, customers, and partners to gather requirements, develop user stories, and communicate the Ocient roadmap.
- Owning and developing the roadmap for loading and data transformation. Ocient has built the base of an extreme performance loading system but needs to build connectors and a transformation engine.
- Working closely with engineering to communicate the requirements and acceptance plan for the features you manage. Contributing to feature design from a user perspective.
- Developing and presenting enablement sessions internally and externally for your parts of the database.
- Understanding and tracking the positioning of your parts of the database with respect to where customers and our competition are headed.
- Working closely with sales and marketing to develop whitepapers, presentations, and demos.
- Working closely with support to identify technical challenges, areas to improve our user experience, and opportunities for customers to self-serve.
What We Expect from You
- BS, MS, or PhD in computer science, computer engineering, or related technical field
- 2+ years of product management experience or closely working with product management
- 5+ years of database, ETL, data movement, or data analytics experience
- A passion for large-scale data management, analytics, and enterprise-level problems
- Background working with databases on-prem, in the cloud, and running as a service
- An intermediate understanding of SQL, database HA/DR, and database security
- Ability to drive complex projects with many moving parts
- Ability to lead a team without direct management responsibility for the team members
- Excellent technical and non-technical written and oral communication in English
- Ideal candidates will also have spent some time working in sales and/or engineering
Ocient is a venture-funded startup building data analytics solutions for the world’s largest datasets. Founding the company in 2016, Ocient’s management team has had numerous successful startup exits including Cleversafe, the largest startup exit in Chicago’s history. Ocient is tackling some of the world’s most challenging problems in database scale, performance, and usability. Ocient employees also care deeply about our customers, each of which we work with closely.