In a nutshell:
At your core, you are a storyteller - a weaver of elegant and punchy narratives that make even the most jaded executives pause and reconsider everything they think they know about their consumers. You can do this effectively because you’re an empathetic, design-minded consultant who thrives in strategic business conversations.
But you’re not distracted by business needs at the expense of the consumer; in fact, it’s your understanding of people that makes your business and technology consulting better than anyone else. You get to the heart of the human problems behind every business, operational, or technical solution. You zoom out and zoom in as you reframe challenges your clients face, exposing new opportunities in the process. Where clients see monumental challenges, you relish the opportunity to show them exactly how they might win.
You’re insights-driven, exposing patterns and connecting dots that would otherwise remain disparate. You recognize assumptions. You model and envision futures for others to see; you form the narratives that help people see themselves in those futures. Although you may not be a pure quant, you have a strong sense of exactly how the experience-driven lens you apply to complicated business problems can be enriched with data.
In fast-moving, cross-disciplinary teams, you are a mature, well-balanced voice of direction and initiative who can orchestrate the right talent where it is most effective and appropriate. Yet, even as you provide others direction, you are a servant-leader who ultimately likes to roll up your sleeves and get things done. You don’t create documents and prototypes for the sake of producing them (though you’re certainly adept in those skills); instead, you focus on efforts that move the conversation forward.
Above all, you are a digital native who lives at the leading edge of emerging technological change, undeterred by ambiguity and hungry to create certainty and value for your clients.
If this sounds like you, we’d love to meet.
Why is this role important for Nerdery’s work?
The Strategy Practice at Nerdery - where this role resides - dwells at the constantly shifting overlap of business value creation, experience centricity, and emergent technology. With the breakneck pace of digital innovation, our clients face new and distinct challenges on a daily basis and they are constantly looking to generate new value through technology. However, without the lens of an experience strategist, digital business efforts risk losing out on a critical part of business design - and it’s a gap that can cause complex and expensive enterprise projects to miss the mark completely.
Nerdery is a digital business consultancy moving through one of the most exciting phases of growth in its 17-year history. We are like digital mammals in the age of legacy dinosaurs. Our organization is designed to match modern clients’ need for an end-to-end partnership that deeply understands business, consumers, and technology. We meet our clients wherever they are in their digital journey and immediately accelerate them through common roadblocks and into new areas of value that help them rise above their competitors. Our teams move seamlessly from strategy to design, all the way through technology, enabled by a top-class delivery organization. That means we can not only co-create the innovative ideas companies need in order to win in this new economy - but we can actually build them right in-house without any discontinuity whatsoever.
Once here, you will:
- Author compelling pitches for our most ambitious clients.
- Develop and manage a team of strategists whom you will mold to be the best advocates of consumer-centric business strategy in our market.
- Leverage your peer leaders in business consulting, insights strategy, and product innovation to produce new offering models.
- Build a thought leadership platform for your domain and author industry insights, POVs, whitepapers, and other thought collateral.
- Collaborate with clients to understand their business challenges and opportunities and to help identify and prioritize their near and long term goals.
- Partner with various designers to create new and evolve existing digital services or products in ways that foster strategic business growth.
- Use discovery-driven planning and financial modeling to explore the business model possibilities behind design concepts and to shape and influence their design.
- Design business models that enhance and extend consumer experiences.
- Work with our Insights Domain to translate business data and concepts into actionable insights for the Nerdery team (and community).
Relevant experience and mindset:
- A Masters in Business is a plus, but regardless of academic qualifications, you should really live at the intersection of human experience, technology and business with progressive growth in leadership and a minimum of 10 years of industry experience.
- You should have an experiential DNA - a sort of thinking that is Characteristically 'you' which you’ve come to be known and respected for demonstrating in your past roles
- Successful candidates will combine rigorous acumen across many of the following areas, along with world-class depth in one or two: Product Development, Product Experience, Start-ups, Marketing (Product or Brand), Organizational Process, Operations, Finance, Technology, and Experience.
- Great team leadership is a must. You should be an awesome boss with a stellar track record of growing quality consultants under your watch.
- Operational experience in or a deep understanding of taking offerings to market and scaling, whether as an entrepreneur or intrapreneur.
- Familiarity with project management tools and Agile Development.
- Demonstrated fluency with the human-centered design process and an ability to work in multidisciplinary design teams.
- Experience in a client-service or consultative role which might include management consulting, creative services, design, finance or operations.
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills.