Project Manager III
At Motorola Solutions, we create technologies our customers refer to as their lifeline. Our technology platforms in communications, software, video and services help our customers work safely and more efficiently. Whether it’s helping firefighters see through smoke, enabling police officers to see around street corners, or reliably keeping the lights on in homes and businesses around the world, our work supports those who put their lives on the line to keep us safe. Bring your passion, potential and talents to Motorola Solutions, and help us usher in a new era in public safety and security.
Department OverviewThe Upgrade Operations (UO) department specializes in performing software and hardware upgrades on live customer systems. The UO department focus is on minimizing the customer's downtime during software upgrades in order to optimize their upgrade experience during the moments that matter.
Job DescriptionProject Manager (PM) is responsible for the implementation of Communication System Projects and will act and be recognized as the leader / focal point for all aspects of assigned project(s). Responsible for delivering the contractual scope, on schedule and within budget, while maintaining customer satisfaction.
Must be able to utilize PM tools (schedule, critical path analysis, budget, change order, risk assessment, action item log, etc) to analyze complex issues and develop resolutions for any issues related to assigned project(s). The PM is responsible for allocating all necessary resources to meet project objectives, corporate financial, and customer satisfaction goals. The project manager is responsible for direct communication to customer’s organization and relevant senior stakeholders internally throughout the life of the project. In addition, the project manager is responsible for the overall pre-tax profit of all projects.
● Leads large programs or portions of very complex programs. Directs and coordinates the work activities of project team.
● Demonstrates a firm understanding of all nine areas of PMBOK project management and has expertise in two areas. Experienced in running project phases. Is able to oversee development of the complete project plan. Is able to establish, track, and audit project budgets, analyze variances and develop action plans as required.
● Represents the organization on projects and may perform in project leadership role.
● A project manager is accountable for accomplishing the stated project objectives within the stipulated time period and budget. Ensures that the three constraints (quality, cost and time) that face every project are properly managed.
Involved in the management of project staff including project reporting, administration and communication.
● Responsible for project planning, setting deliverable dates, and tracking those deliverables.
● Coordinate internal resources and third parties/vendors for the flawless execution of projects.
● Assist in the definition of project scope and objectives, involving all relevant stakeholders and ensuring technical feasibility.
● Work with the Scheduling team and Engineering Management team to ensure resource availability and allocation.
● Develop a project plan to monitor and track progress.
● Manage and communicate changes to the project scope, project schedule, and project costs.
● Measure project performance using appropriate tools and techniques.
● Report and escalate to management as needed.
● Successfully manage the relationships both internally and externally (Field) resources.
● Determine current system configuration/inventory and utilize system and release information from various internal resources in order to generate a list of hardware and software required to bring the system up to the desired Astro release.
● Create upgrade system software binder table of contents.
● Work in partnership with system planning, product planners to ensure that all business rules are applied to every upgrade design and that equipment lists are accurate.
● Identify and communicate defects found in build of material, part numbers, and software versions to appropriate product planners to solve quality and reliability issues that impact upgrades.
● Support and help drive project close-out with Upgrade Operations and Field resources, ensuring a successful project upgrade.
● Lead and drive efficiency by using the Upgrade tools that help drive Project Management best practices.
● Look for ways to continuously improve Project Management efficiencies, and drive those efficiencies
● Aggressive/Creative problem solving skill; ability to get things done in a multi-organizational environment
● Participation in quarterly project reviews
● Must be able to travel to customer locations for on-site upgrades, on a periodic basis
● Strong knowledge of Motorola Solutions Astro 25 Public Safety systems
- Experience with at least one of the following: Public Safety communications systems, Military communications, Civil construction OR IT Networks
- Proficient in Microsoft Office (WORD, Excel, PowerPoint & Projects)
- PMP highly desired. PMP and/or Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM).
- PM Masters Certificate a plus.
- Motorola Solutions Field System Integration experience a plus
- Understanding of two way radio infrastructure communications products, services, and systems.
- Understanding of local public safety customers, such as police, fire, and emergency medical services is a plus.
- Must be a self motivated team player able to work effectively with general guidance toward objectives.
- Must have excellent interpersonal, presentation, and negotiation skills
- 5+ years of project/program management
- BA/BS degree required
Position TypeExperiencedReferral Payment PlanNo
Motorola Solutions is an Equal Opportunity Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran's status, or, any other protected characteristic.
If you are a current Motorola Solutions employee, please click this link to apply through your Workday account.