Project Manager (JAMA Product Development)
Project Manager (JAMA Product Development)
The American Medical Association (AMA), a nonprofit, is the nation's largest professional Association of physicians. We are a unifying voice and powerful ally for America's physicians, the patients they care for, and the promise of a healthier nation. To be part of the AMA is to be part of our Mission to promote the art and science of medicine and the betterment of public health.
As an employer, we are dedicated to many efforts, including employee learning and development, social responsibility, diversity and inclusion and wellness.
Our well-defined culture has strongly impacted the prosperity of our organization. Our foundational values of Respect, Integrity, Innovation, Impact, Collaboration, Agility and Trust are at the core of our efforts and continue to shape the success of the AMA.
We have an opportunity at our corporate offices in Chicago for a Project Manager on our JAMA Publishing team. In this role you will manage technology projects, research engagements, and product pilots for initiatives supporting the AMA Ed Hub and JAMA Network (scroll down for more information on this team). Projects vary in scope and complexity, including managing budgets and timelines for multiple initiatives with an emphasis on agile software development methodology. Collaborates with product and Ed Hub team members, vendors, internal stakeholders, and leadership to define project approach and ensure development meets objects.
- Manage implementation of project, research, and development plans for new products.
- Manage multiple, concurrent projects and maintains project plans, status, and issues; collaborate with project team to resolve issues or identify alternatives.
- Ensure development and related project work is completed on time, within budget and meet quality standards.
- Address or escalate to director any issues preventing projects from achieving objectives; support post-mortem analysis of issues as requested.
- Ensure work is distributed effectively to project team, clarifying any questions on objectives.
- Manage project issues by ensuring visibility, determining root cause, facilitating solutions, driving to timely resolution and actively communicating to stakeholders.
- Assist with business and technical requirements gathering with stakeholders.
- Develop project plans including pilots and other agile approaches.
- Develop and recommend to Director timeline, budget, work steps, and assignments including accountabilities of vendors and external partners.
- Develop scope and plan pilots and recommend to Director.
- Liaise with content partners and other stakeholders.
- Collaborate with content partners to ensure materials are available and manage expectations for product and content launch and availability.
- Communicate project scope and work with Director to qualify any requests to expand scope.
- May include other responsibilities as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree required, graduate degree preferred; emphasis on a technical discipline preferred
- Project management certification and experience or certification in agile methodology preferred
- 5+ years of technical project management, including projects supporting product development
- Ability to resolve project issues through collaboration with colleagues, vendors, and others, including developing alternative approaches to meet deadlines and objectives
- Extensive hands-on experience in producing detailed project schedules, extrapolating work breakdown structures, defining resource requirements and tracking to schedule
- Experience working with vendors, including RFP development, negotiation and management of a scope of work
- Ability to hold a cross-functional project team with internal and external members accountable to meet deadlines within budget and identify alternative approaches to address issues
- Interpersonal and written and verbal communication skill to interact with technical and business audiences at all levels, at internal and stakeholder organizations
- Proven ability to manage multiple, concurrent projects in a deadline-driven environment
The AMA offers competitive salaries, including an incentive plan; excellent benefits and progressive technology. Our office is a business casual environment and we respect work-life balance. Please apply for the position at https://ama-assn.csod.com/ats/careersite/jobdetails.aspx?site=2&c=ama-assn&id=1290&source=BIC. The American Medical Association is located at 330 N. Wabash Avenue, Chicago, IL 60611 and is convenient to all public transportation in Chicago.
We are an equal opportunity employer, committed to diversity in our workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment. As an EOE/AA employer, the American Medical Association will not discriminate in its employment practices due to an applicant’s race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity and veteran or disability status.
THE AMA IS COMMITTED TO IMPROVING THE HEALTH OF THE NATION
Join the JAMA Product Team!
Join a team responsible for leveraging innovation to grow the reach of JAMA, the most widely circulated general medical journal in the world, with more than 286,000 recipients of the print journal, more than 1.3 million recipients of electronic tables of contents and alerts, and over 130 million annual article views to the JAMA Network website. The journals benefit from a growing social media presence (more than 785,000 followers on Twitter and Facebook) and vast international news media exposure.
- Impact and Reach
- 13 Peer Reviewed Medical Journals publishing over 6,500 articles per year
- JAMA’s Impact Factor of 51.3, one of the highest in medicine and science. JAMA Dermatology, JAMA Otolaryngology, JAMA Pediatrics, and JAMA Surgery all have the highest impact factors in their specialties.
- Over 130 million annual article views and downloads and the largest print circulation of any general medical journal, with more than 286,000 recipients worldwide
- Extensive press coverage, with more than 48,991 media mentions in 2019 in outlets such as The New York Times, Forbes, USA Today, The Washington Post, CNN, and NPR
- Broad reach, with more than 1.3 million email followers and more than 800,000 followers on Twitter and Facebook