Project Manager at Morningstar
Our Morningstar ESG Strategy Group (see end of document for associated sub-groups that this role supports) is looking for a project management & change management professional to help embed a coherent approach to project management across the business.
We seek an enthusiastic, results-driven candidate to serve as a hands-on Project Manager. This person will work with internal partners across product management, data, technology, operations, sales, marketing, research and service to help drive ESG and sustainability initiatives forward. In addition to helping coordinate these initiatives across Morningstar Business Units, the Project Manager will support the Strategy Group’s leadership team to ensure effective reporting of the product roadmap and run high profile, complex, corporate-level sustainability related projects using the Enterprise Sustainability Working Group structure.
You have a strong background in program/project management, Agile product development and process improvement. Experience in strategizing, planning, managing and implementing concurrent complex strategic projects across cross-functional teams using hybrid project management practices is required. The ability to communicate clearly at all levels, form strong relationships with team members and business partners, and proactively identify and control risks and dependencies is critical in this role.
• Develop a basic understanding of products and services in the ESG Product portfolio and a basic level of understanding of issuer-level ESG ratings.
• Manage multiple initiatives concurrently, including planning, scheduling, delivery and quality management, alongside working with delivery teams to ensure that project goals are met.
• Communicate regular program and project level updates across all stakeholder groups.
• Identify and handle dependencies between multiple teams throughout the organization.
• Coach teams to identify and solve project issues effectively.
• Identify, monitor and mitigate project risks.
• Lead program reviews with business partners to report on and/or facilitate conversations regarding OKR status, progress, resources, and risks.
• Establish and maintain trusted relationships with research, data teams; product managers, designers, technology teams, and business partners.
• Coordinate the project team(s) through all project management phases.
• Lead daily/weekly stand-ups and meetings.
• Report on progress to the project sponsor(s), PMO management, proactively identifying constraints and escalating problems.
• After the project is complete, gather and document all project results and debrief to the appropriate parties (including management).
• Master’s degree in related discipline (business, economics, communication, information technology or data management) or Bachelor’s degree with relevant experience;
• At least 3-5 years of experience managing projects, preferably in a digital environment;
Project Management Certification, Quality Management Certification or other related discipline is a strong asset;
• Excellent execution skills and attention to detail; Strong oral and written communication skills;
• Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work with a variety of stakeholders, including in different time zones;
• Strong analytical and problem-solving skills and ability to work independently;
• Experience working with AGILE and Waterfall methodologies an asset; experience working with Asana, Morningstar’s new project management software, is also an asset.
About the Groups this role will support:
• ESG Product Strategy: Morningstar’s ESG Product Strategy team is part of the Sustainability Strategy Group. This Team’s mandate is to further Morningstar’s mission of empowering investor success by ensuring ESG capability across Morningstar products and platforms including Direct & Reporting Solutions, RISE, Indexes, as well as Pitchbook, MIM and DBRS. The ESG Product Strategy group is responsible for identifying, prioritizing and supporting the execution of product development and go to market initiatives that drive direct ESG revenues, enhance other business unit product revenues, and increase visibility and branding through education and marketing efforts to amplify our ESG signals broadly allowing us to become ubiquitous and thus become the standard signal in the market.
• Enterprise Sustainability Group: Morningstar’s Enterprise Sustainability team is part of the Sustainability Strategy Group. The team’s role is to articulate and coordinate Morningstar’s long-term corporate sustainability strategy across the Morningstar enterprise, which includes Pitchbook, Sustainalytics, and DBRS. We manage an Enterprise Sustainability Working Group (ESWG) which includes global business units (such as MIM or Sustainalytics), functions (such as Facilities), and offices (such as country manager representatives) to develop strategies to mitigate sustainability risks at Morningstar; identify, propose, and support relevant programs to reduce impact; and align our research, products, and services with best practices in sustainability. We ensure alignment of Morningstar’s ESG activities with international ESG reporting and compliance standards. We demonstrate the value of Morningstar’s service by turning the firm’s own transparency, research, and reporting tools on ourselves in order to build Morningstar into a sustainability leader in the financial services industry.
Sustainalytics has been a leading independent provider of Environmental, Social and Governance (ESG) research for the last 25 years. Our insights are used by clients to make better informed investment decisions, engage with companies in relation to their business activities and drive change.
Sustainalytics is a growing organization with 800 employees and 17 offices globally. We have a flexible and supportive working culture and empower our employees to progress and develop quickly in an entrepreneurial environment.
For more information, visit www.sustainalytics.com