Technical Evangelist, Open Source at PEAK6
We are PEAK6, a leading investment firm. You'll find us headquartered in the historic Chicago Board of Trade building, where we first opened our doors in 1997. It's been over 20 years since we were one of the first firms to develop sophisticated proprietary technology to use in our trading business. Today, we continue to leverage our technical ingenuity and operational excellence across several investment areas, spanning early-to-mid stage growth capital, operational control, trading, and e-sports, while always proving value to the customer. Throughout the years, we've built and operated several financial technology firms, and we continue to evolve. You'll find a bit of everything here, and we're always looking to take on new endeavors.
The PEAK6 Open Source Technical Evangelist role is being created as we look to evolve our engineering culture and establish our commitment to open source more so than we have ever before. The unique nature of our businesses in highly regulated industries like trading and insurance is very demanding. In this role, the open source technical evangelist will apply their expertise in software engineering and development as well as prior successful work in the open source community at large.
As an Open Source Technical Evangelist, you’ll be responsible for:
- Creating awareness and promoting our commitment to open source across all PEAK6 companies
- Collaborating with compliance, legal, recruiting, and marketing teams to improve industry perception of our engineering excellence and open source contributions
- Developing guidance and collaborating with engineers as they engage with the open source ecosystem
- Supporting internal hackathons and tech day events where engineers are encouraged to contribute back to key open source projects
- Providing feedback and reporting on our engagement with open source projects and opportunities that accelerate our engineering teams’ delivery
Within your first year you’ll have:
- Established and successfully debuted the open source contribution model across all PEAK6 entities; especially our Capital Management, National Flood Services, and Apex Clearing businesses
- Created a cross-functional open source committee to review open source policies, collaborate with the business, and enable engineers to work in the open
- Supported many engineers in contributing to open source projects we love, our own open source projects on Github, and our engineering blog.
You’ll gain loads of experience and prestige in this role but before you do, you should have:
- 10+ years of software engineering experience
- Bachelors or Masters Degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or related field
- Strong communication skills and flexibility working with different technologies
- Proven track record of successful open source community involvement and engineering engagement
All of our developers have these traits. You should, too.
Motivation Collaboration Curiosity
Integrity Adaptability Ingenuity
Life at PEAK6
We want you to like coming to work so we work really hard to make your job fun and different from any other.
As a PEAK6 Senior Software Engineer, you can enjoy:
- Generous medical, vision and dental plans
- Matching 401(k) programs
- Adoption assistance & family leave
- Sabbatical program
- Massage days
- Poker tournament with a grand prize of a World Series of Poker buy in
- Sports leagues
- Cornhole tournaments
- Annual PEAK6 Party
- Yoga classes
- Tuition reimbursement