Technical Program Manager- Infrastructure, Scale & Stability
About The Opportunity
We’re Grubhub, the nation’s leading online and mobile food ordering company. Since 2004 we’ve been connecting hungry diners to the local restaurants they love. We’re moving eating forward with no signs of slowing down.
With more than 85,000 restaurants and over 15.6 million diners across 1,600 U.S. cities and London, we’re delivering like never before. Incredible tech is our bread and butter, but amazing people are our secret ingredient. Rigorously analytical and customer-obsessed, our employees develop the fresh ideas and brilliant programs that keep our brands going and growing.
Long story short, keeping our people happy, challenged and well-fed is priority one. Interested? Let’s talk. We’re eager to show you what we bring to the table.
We’re looking for an experienced Program Manager to oversee the execution of large, complex programs across multiple teams, functions and departments. This highly-visible role will use their experience in project management methodologies to drive the planning and execution of work across our Product and Technology teams, while connecting and providing transparency to our business partners across the organization.
Some Challenges You’ll Tackle
- Coordinate and track individual projects, programs and initiatives that support the scalability and stability of our infrastructure and platform. Foster an environment of collaboration, partnership, customer focus, quality, excellence, urgency, accountability, continuous improvement and innovation. Define expectations and metrics and monitor performance.
- Gather requirements and manage asks from multiple sources to form a cohesive roadmap, driving clear prioritization and timelines for projects related to improving our infrastructure and controlling costs. Ability to quickly assess what technology systems will be impacted by requirements and requests to determine level of effort and assist in prioritization.
- Provide in-depth cost analysis of current and future AWS spend, working across teams to analyze usage, provide cost-reduction recommendations, and drive projects related to reducing our AWS spend over time.
- Partner with our Finance department to understand and manage our Infrastructure budget. Provide transparency into current and forecasted spend. Be the point-person for financial related questions and projects related to our budget and reduction of costs.
- Be a true “servant-leader” and support the team’s efforts to identify, communicate, and resolve interdependencies, risks, and issues. Help teams manage and resolve conflicts.
- Maintain effective communication with senior management to keep them aware of critical issues and develop action plans for addressing those issues.
- Prepare and present regular status updates for the initiative, including roadmaps, project timelines and resource allocation.
- Work cross-departmentally with our partners across multiple departments in the organization, aligning on roadmap dependencies in the end-to-end execution of our joint programs.
Ingredients for Success:
- Enthusiastic: You’ll need an optimistic, charismatic and outgoing personality in order to lead by influencing others and you’ll be a key part of making our workplace fun and energetic.
- Motivational: You’ll need the ability to motivate others by demonstrating a clear purpose for the team and how their work fits into the company’s strategy, while facilitating a sense of autonomy and creating an environment where people can continue to master their craft through professional development. You must be willing to hold teams accountable to our vision and values.
- Adaptable: You’ll have the ability to dynamically adapt to shifts in priorities and projects, resolving contention and solving problems across technology and our business partners.
- Transparent: Your management style must be honest, transparent and authentic and you need the ability to build relationships and trust quickly.
- Critical thinking: You must be able to ensure that the programs we release will positively impact our business and not be afraid to be a voice of reason and authority when a product is not ready in the face of external pressure to hit a specific timeframe.
You Should Have
- 3+ years of experience as a Program Manager within a technology organization, with specific expertise managing Infrastructure and AWS related projects and budgets.
- Experienced in financial analysis and forecasting with a passion for finding ways to reduce costs.
- Solid understanding of different software development lifecycle models and expert knowledge in agile and traditional principles, with the ability to blend processes to find the right fit for technology and our business.
- Strong technical knowledge to quickly earn the respect of our engineering team, and bonus points if you come from an engineering background.
- Experienced using JIRA for project tracking and transparency.
- Ability to communicate at all levels of the organization, with some public speaking expertise presenting at meetups and conferences.
And Of Course, Perks!
- Unlimited paid vacation days. Choose how your time is spent.
- Never go hungry! We provide weekly GrubHub/Seamless credit.
- Regular in-office social events, including happy hours, wine tastings, karaoke, bingo with prizes and more.
- Company-Wide Initiatives encouraging innovation, continuous learning and cross-department connections.