Senior Compensation Analyst
tronc is looking to hire a Senior Compensation Analyst in our downtown Chicago or Los Angeles office who, under limited supervision, supports the development, implementation and assessment of innovative, market-based and performance driven reward and recognition initiatives. You will assist in designing current and future compensation programs that attract, motivate, reward and retain employees and align with established compensation philosophy and business goals. Finally, you’ll be directly responsible for a variety of projects which support strategic compensation initiatives including job evaluation and documentation, market pricing, long- and short-term incentive programs and other recognition programs.
- A comprehensive rewards package - we know that salary alone isn’t all you’re looking for, which is why we provide a 401(k) plan with match, and offer great medical, dental, and vision insurance - we even pay for your life insurance. We offer employees access to coordinated discounts and perks through an outside agreement, as well as allow time off during the year to help you achieve work/life balance.
- A supportive work environment - we value our department culture, founded on bright people with passion for their work.
- An innovative and collaborative team that listens and implements great ideas, no matter where in the department they come from – team members of all levels are respected and heard.
tronc, Inc. (NASDAQ:TRNC) is a media company rooted in award-winning journalism. Headquartered in Chicago, tronc operates newsrooms in nine markets with titles including the Chicago Tribune, Los Angeles Times, The Baltimore Sun, Orlando Sentinel, South Florida's Sun-Sentinel, Newport News, Virginia’s Daily Press, Allentown, Pennsylvania's The Morning Call, Hartford Courant, and The San Diego Union-Tribune. Our legacy of brands has earned a combined 94 Pulitzer Prizes and is committed to informing, inspiring and engaging local communities.
Our brands create and distribute content across our media portfolio, offering integrated marketing, media, and business services to consumers and advertisers, including digital solutions and advertising opportunities.
At tronc, we believe in fostering growth, learning new skills, and making sure every team member feels valued.Responsibilities:
- Assists in the design, development, implementation and administration of market based and performance driven compensation reward and recognition programs. Develops employee, manager and Human Resources partner education and training materials in support of compensation initiatives.
- Directly supports assigned client group(s) and ensures a high level of customer support, education, and assistance with a wide variety of initiatives including job evaluation reviews, job placement, market analyses, compensation change recommendation reviews and approval in accordance with company philosophy.
- Manages the company’s equity compensation programs, including serving as relationship manager between tronc and the company’s outside equity compensation recordkeeper. Responsible for coordinating related government filings and working closely with legal and finance partners to ensure the equity compensation programs are running smoothly, accounted for properly and legally compliant.
- Manages company-wide compensation review processes including base pay, market pricing, pay structure modification, incentive eligibility and implementation of new initiatives.
- Provides analytical support, consulting and guidance to management and Human Resource partners on a wide variety of compensation related matters.
- Monitors Federal and State regulations, and leads review of exemption and pay level assessments to ensure compliance.
- Leads annual survey budget development, survey participation and ad-hoc market analyses.
- Leads administration of company-wide compensation data maintenance, reporting and records management activities. Identifies, recommends and leads the implementation of business process improvements and technology solutions that help improve the efficiency of the compensation planning, administration and reporting process.
- Develops measurements and dashboards that help identify and track trends in compensation spending against industry benchmarks. Identifies and measures company-wide metrics including compensation spend, linkage to performance, market, position in range, etc.
- Participates in special projects and performs other duties as assigned.
- Requires a Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources, Business Management or a related field and a minimum of 6-8 years of progressive compensation experience and 5+ years of stock administration experience in a public company; professional certification (i.e., CCP, CEP) preferred.
- Experience managing third party equity brokerage relationships and strong knowledge of U.S. federal and state taxation and compliance requirements associated with equity compensation administration preferred.
- Excellent Microsoft Office and internet skills required; experience with HRIS technology platforms (Workday preferred), Access and database maintenance a plus.
- Experience managing long- and short-term projects preferred.
- Strong organizational, project and time management and decision making skills are essential.
- Prior compensation program design/administration, data analysis and position evaluation experience is essential.
- Prior experience in media industry a plus.
- Subject matter expert knowledge of Department of Labor Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) and other Human Resources regulations is required.
- Must possess excellent customer service, interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills; requires approachable, responsive, results oriented and proactive personal traits.
- Experience preparing and presenting information to all employee and management levels helpful.
- Requires strong mathematical, analytical, critical thinking and problem solving skills; must be highly detail oriented.
- Must be capable of multi-tasking and working independently as well as in a team environment.
- Ability to maintain the highest degree of confidentiality in all matters related to employee compensation and rewards.
- Must possess professional maturity and curiosity.