Software Engineer with Ops Experience
JELLYVISION NEEDS A DEVOPS ENGINEER FOR THE FLEXMINDER TEAM
The FlexMinder division of Jellyvision is improving the lives of millions of people by applying technology to reduce multi-billion dollar waste in the US Health Care industry. We're arming people with tools and data to be better consumers of health care. Come join us as we revolutionize health care, one technological innovation at a time.
THAT’S LOVELY, BUT WHAT’S THE JOB?
As a member of the FlexMinder Engineering team, you will create the systems that aggregate and normalize health care claims data from a myriad of data sources. This data is used to simplify the end user experience with medical savings accounts, ultimately saving people money on their healthcare costs. We’re looking for a technological jack-of-all-trades, equally comfortable coding in Ruby, writing AWS CloudFormation templates, and creating new Ansible roles as you crank out application code. In addition to being a quality driven developer, you’ll work collaboratively with the team to deploy and operate our systems. You’ll help automate and streamline our operations and processes; build and maintain tools for deployment, monitoring and operations; and troubleshoot and resolve issues in our dev, test and production environments.
WHAT KIND OF SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE SHOULD YOU HAVE?
· Ruby/Rails: Our language of choice is Ruby, and our framework of choice is Rails. Ideally 4+ years of experience shipping high quality production Rails applications.
· RDBM Systems: We’re a PostgreSQL shop. Experience with other standard SQL based database like MySQL, Maria or Aurora is just fine. Experience analyzing and optimizing queries will definitely be a bonus here.
· Strong background in Linux/Unix Administration
· 1+ year of experience with AWS. We currently utilize EC2, EBS, RDS (PostgreSQL), S3, Cloudfront, Inspector and more.
· Experience with automation/configuration management using Ansible or an equivalent.
· Experience with CI/CD frameworks like Jenkins and Janky.
· Familiarity with Containerization (Docker)
· Keen attention to detail: The systems you build, and the data you capture, will be used to facilitate the moving of money. It’s important to get the data right. Quality starts with YOU!
· Bonus points: ECS/ECR experience, RabbitMQ (or similar) experience, Kubernetes experience (double bonus points!), HIPAA experience (super mega double bonus points!).
ANYTHING ELSE? We share a commitment to excellence and a desire to work in a comfortable, friendly atmosphere, so we only hire nice, bright, funny people who are willing to work hard. Our credo is a simple one: be helpful. And we think we can be most helpful if our workforce is as diverse in thought, perspective, and culture as the people who use our products. We are looking to add amazing folks to our team who will bring diversity across many lines, including race, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, gender identity, sex, and country of origin.
ARE THERE ANY PERKS? Yes, we love perks.
· Competitive pay, 401(k) with matching, stock options and benefits. We pay 100% of the cost of premiums for medical, dental, vision, disability and life insurance for our employees (as long as you qualify for our tobacco-free discount; if you’re a tobacco user, your medical premiums will be higher than $0). We also cover a really nice chunk of the cost of premiums for spouse/dependent medical, dental and vision insurance.
· Casual dress and a flexible schedule. Come in a sweatshirt, jeans, whatever, like everyone else here.
· Creative work environment. We are lucky to work in a place that is full of intelligent, talented and innovative folks. Although most hours the place is deathly quiet (we're a focused bunch), this is punctuated with hilarious outbursts and general merriment, which makes a nice way to spend the day.
· Free food. Every week, we stock our kitchen with free healthy snack foods, and we have a catered lunch every other week to give people a reason to hang out and eat together.
· Easy transportation and lots of love for folks who bike to work. We’re really close to the North/Clybourn red line stop and the Halsted (#8) bus (right by the Apple Store and Mega Whole Foods too), and we have a transit FSA that allows you to dedicate pre-tax dollars to public transportation expenses. A number of our employees like to bike to work, so we also have bike storage, showers and lockers in the office. And for those without their own bike in the city, we offer free divvy memberships – complete with Jellyvision bike helmets you can borrow from the office.
· Did we mention our yoga class? We bring a pro instructor right to the office. Fully subsidized by Jellyvision and fully optional, btw.
· Oh! And we have a massage chair. Not just any massage chair, my friend. It’s the HumanTouch HT 5320 WholeBody™ Massage Chair. Feeling a little stiff? Sit down. Relax. Feel better? Good. Okay, back to work.
AND HOW DO I APPLY?
We look forward to hearing about you and what you do. Make sure your application includes:
· A cover letter that highlights three reasons you think you’d be great for the gig, focusing on how your past experience has prepared you for this kind of position. Writing is key to all we do, and we weigh cover letters heavily. We love a cover letter that really shows us your personality (check out our company bios to see the wide range of personalities we’ve already got in house), but don’t stress if you’re not a comedian. You don’t have to be funny. Just be yourself. We’re mostly interested in learning who you are, what you love to do, and why you’d love to do it here with us.
· Your resume
You will receive an auto-reply confirming that we've received your application.
Please know that every single application we receive is read by a real live human being. However that kind of thoughtful review takes time, so it may take us a little while to get back to you (but we will, we promise). In the meantime, NO FOLLOW UP PHONE CALLS OR EMAILS, PLEASE. It’s not that we don’t love hearing from you. It’s just that time spent responding to follow ups could be spent…well…reading your application. Please rest assured that if you received a confirmation from Recruiting Robot, we’ve got your application, and will get back to you really soon. We knew you’d understand.
If you still have pressing questions in the meantime, please feel free to check out our handy-dandy FAQ page!
Thanks for your interest in Jellyvision!