The world has changed. Why hasn’t insurance?
Kin’s mission is to reimagine home insurance For Every New Normal. While other insurers struggle to handle a fast-changing world, Kin is built for the future and is prepared to meet its challenges head on while helping our customers do the same.
Kin is proud to be one of BuiltIn Chicago’s 2021 Best Mid Sized Companies to work for, and Forbes 2021 Best Startup Employers in North America. Simply put, our people are what make us great, and we need forward-thinking, inspired game-changers like you to join us in our mission.
So, what’s the role?
As an Analytics Engineer you will build the next generation of data platforms and be a critical part of the growth and expansion of Kin Insurance. As the Analytics Engineer, you will design and build innovative data and analytics solutions on AWS, using core data warehousing tools, cloud data warehouses (AWS, Redshift or Airflow) and other Big Data related technologies. In addition, you will be working with some of the most forward-thinking departments in data, analytics and engineering across the organization.
A day in the life could include:
- Your primary focus is Data Engineering, paired with Data Science, Business Intelligence and Analytics
- Design and build data extraction, transformation, and loading processes by writing custom data pipelines with Python
- Be a key member of a highly collaborative agile team that works with business stakeholders to understand data needs, capture requirements, and deliver complete Business Intelligence solutions
- Model data and metadata to support ad hoc and pre-built reporting, as well as Data Science projects
- Build data expertise and own data quality for allocated areas in key departments supporting Marketing, Insurance Product and Underwriting
- Work with data infrastructure to triage ETL issues and drive resolutions
I’ve got the skills… but do I have the necessary ones?
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Mathematics, or a related technical discipline
- 3+ years of experience developing ETL workflows with SQL, working with Redshift and/or Postgres
- 2+ years of technical experience using BI tools such as Looker and Tableau, and data warehousing tools such as Azure, Snowflake, AWS, Redshift, SQL server and/or Airflow.
- Proficient in Python and SQL
- Ability to create and optimize complex data processing and data transformation pipelines using Python and SQL in a work environment setting is a must
- Proven working knowledge of establishing, presenting and utilizing data analytics standard methodologies in a BI environment
- Insurance background a plus
- Experience using Looker
- Interest in broader insurtech data science and machine learning
- AWS and Redshift experience
Oh, and don’t worry, we’ve got you covered!
- Medical, Dental and Vision Insurance (including 100% employer-paid plans)
- Flexible PTO policy
- Very generous equity options and 401K
- Parental Leave
- Continuing education and professional development
- Disability and Life Insurance
- The excitement of joining a high-growth Insurtech company and seeing your work make an impact
In an industry that hasn't budged in more than 100 years, our technology transforms the user experience, cuts inefficiencies that waste billions of consumer dollars, and customizes coverage homeowners want. We believe insurance was always meant to be a digital product – we’re making that a reality.
Our approach to the industry makes us unique, and the people at Kin help us excel. We’re a team of problem solvers, collaborators, builders, and dreamers who are passionate about creating positive change in the lives of our customers and in our industry. Kin is more than just our name – it’s how we treat each other. That’s one of the many reasons we’ve been recognized as a great place to work by Built In, Forbes, and Fast Company.
Kin is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. We don't just accept difference – we honor it, nurture it, and celebrate it. We don’t discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.