Kin is the home insurance company For Every New Normal. Because of our proprietary technology and direct-to-consumer model, we provide affordable pricing without compromising coverage, even in areas most impacted by climate change. We’re proud to offer fully digital homeowners insurance with an elegant user experience, accurate pricing, and fast, high-quality claims service.
We are also proud to be recognized as Built In’s 2021 Best Midsize Companies to Work For in Chicago and Forbes 2021 Best Startup Employers in America. We are growing super fast, and we need forward-thinking, inspired game-changers like you to help lead the way.
So, what’s the role?
At Kin, we are modernizing and simplifying a 100-year-old industry by building our product suite from the ground up, and our customers are our top priority. As the Business Intelligence Lead, you will own data & analytics in the Claims, Insurance, Actuarial and Underwriting departments. You will set the strategy for the team, develop new analytic capabilities for the organization and partner with different members of leadership across the organization to define and advance these objectives.
A day-in-the-life could include:
- Provide ROI analysis of Insurance and Underwriting initiatives, risks and customer journey impacts. Deliver recommendations regarding continuous improvement
- Responsible for leading the strategic design of new reporting and analytical tools that will help Kin’s departments and its end users achieve their operational objectives
- Organize and lead design & implementation sessions, contributing to the overall design of new and existing BI outputs as well as the validity of the data being used
- Work cross-functionally with Finance (and other departments) to develop processes, data models and reports as we improve efficiency and grow
- Join forces with a multi-disciplinary, diverse team to make meaningful decisions and serve the needs of the business
I’ve got the skills...but do I have the necessary ones?
- 2+ years of working in the Insurance industry with in-depth knowledge of Insurance Financials, Underwriting, Claims and Data Applications
- 5+ years of analytics, including at least 1 year managing an analytics team comprising analytics engineers and data analysts
- 3+ years of product management experience. Communicates difficult concepts and negotiates with others to adopt a different point of view
- Bachelor’s degree or master’s in Engineering, Statistics, Mathematics, Computer Science, or a related field
- Extensive hands-on experience with modern technologies for data warehousing, data modeling, ETL, and data visualization/dashboards
- Strong understanding of the fundamentals of analytics tools and systems, including SQL, data warehouses, dashboards, and reporting tools.
- Familiarity with agile software development methodologies
- Experience in programming in R or Python is a plus
Oh, and don’t worry, we’ve got you covered!
- Medical, Dental and Vision Insurance (including 100% employer-paid plans)
- Flexible PTO policy
- Very generous equity options and 401K
- Parental Leave
- Continuing education and professional development
- Disability and Life Insurance
- Onsite gym membership - when we return to the office (Chicago office only)
- The excitement of joining a high-growth Insurtech company and seeing your work make an impact
In an industry that hasn't budged in more than 100 years, our technology transforms the user experience, cuts inefficiencies that waste billions of consumer dollars, and customizes coverage homeowners want. We believe insurance was always meant to be a digital product – we’re making that a reality.
Our approach to the industry makes us unique, and the people at Kin help us excel. We’re a team of problem solvers, collaborators, builders, and dreamers who are passionate about creating positive change in the lives of our customers and in our industry. Kin is more than just our name – it’s how we treat each other. That’s one of the many reasons we’ve been recognized as a great place to work by Built In, Forbes, and Fast Company.
Kin is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. We don't just accept difference – we honor it, nurture it, and celebrate it. We don’t discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.