Data Engineer at BenchPrep
As a Data Engineer at BenchPrep, you will help develop our products to allow for informative and timely delivery of data insights, ultimately helping millions of students and professionals achieve success. On a day-to-day basis, the focus is understanding and translating business needs into effective data architecture, in-depth SQL queries, and ETL processes to connect multiple data sources for our cloud-based SaaS products. Our product roadmap includes a significant focus on data analytics providing you the opportunity to meaningfully impact on our business and customers.
In the role, you will:
- Design and develop the data pipeline architecture including extract, transform, and load (ETL) processes
- Develop and tune queries for accurate and performant reporting. Optimize data extract processes used by reporting tools (Domo). Monitor and report on ETL job performance and status.
- Design and build data sets (for warehousing or as data extracts) to efficiently serve large, complex analytic requirements
- Build processes to support data transformation, metadata, dependency, and workload management.
Your proactive approach will be highly helpful as not only will you design and build BenchPrep’s most technically complex data storage and access methods, you will also advise and coach software engineers and data analysts on how to achieve optimal functionality, performance, and scalability in our data and reporting systems. In a similar vein, while performing ad-hoc reporting and data extraction for internal users and external client requests, you’ll constantly look for ways to develop tools and/or automation to streamline similar ad hoc reporting requests into standard reports.
**Skills and experiences we value:
- Demonstrated success developing and tuning data pipelines and ETL processes
- Strong SQL and relational database knowledge, ideally PostgreSQL
- Analytical and problem-solving mindset
- Ability to translate business questions and analytic requirements to specific data sets and query results that satisfy them
- Familiarity with non-relational data storage technologies (NoSQL)
**Note: We know that excellent candidates can have all sorts of backgrounds and experiences, so please don’t hesitate to apply even if you don’t meet 100% of the listed requirements! And check out our latest blog post to learn more about inclusion at BenchPrep in the Engineering team."
Nice to have and/or you’ll learn:
- Experience developing and maintaining data warehouses in big data solutions e.g. Snowflake
- Conceptual knowledge of data and analytics, such as dimensional modeling, ELT, reporting tools, data governance, data warehousing, structured and unstructured data.
- BI Tools (Sisense)
We deliver the most advanced and flexible learning experience for certification, credentialing, test prep, continuing education, and training. Our cloud-based learning platform helps training organizations, associations and the extended enterprise deliver a highly engaging and effective learning experience for individuals who are trying to advance their careers. We incorporate the latest in learner-centered technology, including personalization, gamification, data science, usability and omni-channel delivery.
We’re sitting in a pivotal time in the BenchPrep history. The number of learners on our cloud-based learning platform has almost reached 7 million in 2021.
We’re committed to helping students learn better, and that starts with our own people.
Speaking of our people, in March 2020, we put safety first and quickly moved our people to working remotely. We’ve learned that our employees are really productive working at home and still (mostly) work remotely. Our first core value is “People First” and the pandemic has reinforced how true this value reigns to us. What is the future of BenchPrep’s plans for working in-office or remote? We haven’t finalized that, but what we do know is that collaboration and connection are our top priorities. Remote, in-office (Chicago), or hybrid... employees know how they work best. Let us know what your preferences or requirements are for being remote only, hybrid or in-office.
Life at BenchPrep:
We work at BenchPrep because we’re dedicated to the mission and each day we have an opportunity to be challenged and learn. We work hard and have lots of fun. Culture is our lifeline at BenchPrep. We celebrate our people, both professionally and personally. We care about learning so much that we offer employees $1,200 annually to develop their skills so they can continue to operate everyday with new skills. It’s no wonder we were selected in Inc’s Best Workplaces of 2020 and Crain’s 2020 Best Places to Work in Chicago lists.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
We are looking for high performing and motivated professionals who are excited about the chance to leverage technology to impact the lives of millions of learners. Join us.